Carbon Monoxide Detector

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Carbon Monoxide Detector

Post by GAHorn »

iowa wrote:i used this one for years
isn't it ok?

Blunt, truth:
NO! It's NOT ok. Those are not reliable at best, and last only a few days after installed, plus once they detect (If ever they do) it's too late and not reuseable. Trash it..... It was trash when you bought it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

gahorn wrote:
iowa wrote:i used this one for years
isn't it ok?

Blunt, truth:
NO! It's NOT ok. Those are not reliable at best, and last only a few days after installed, plus once they detect (If ever they do) it's too late and not reuseable. Trash it..... It was trash when you bought it.
I have to seriously agree with George on this one. Those spots are not good to have and are not reliable.

I had one in my plane just after I bought it and flew it up here. Ultimately, it seemed a little "less orange". I bought a Sensorcon, since we were using them in the Fire Department, and it immediately showed levels of 170 to 180 when in descent to landing, and about 80 or more in cruise.

The orange spot did not turn dark, just enough "less orange" to make me concerned/interested in levels. The Sensorcon CO detector is how we found the missing manifold bolt that had been missed on the pre-purchase annual, or it became missing within that first few months more likely.

ANY good digital CO detector is one you want in your aircraft.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
iowa

Post by iowa »

thanks guys
who knows, you may have saved my life
i'll order one STAT
won't really need it for awhile
as they started replacing the RW here in Guthrie County on Monday 4/20/20
thanks again
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051