Replace rudder return springs?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Re: Replace rudder return springs?

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Yep - cables replaced at same time.

I do need to check on Johneb's reply though about setting the rudder cables. I'm sure my IA said he set the tension. Maybe they've been set too tight? Got to go look at the service manual tomorrow (assuming the 170 rudder setting is the same as the 100 series).
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The only "tension" for rudder cables..... IS THOSE SPRINGS! (They are not interconnected.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Confirmed with my IA today that he's adjusted the rudder cables correctly - even pedals and straight rudder.

His question/concern is that the rudder hits the stops long before the rudder pedals bottom out. There are no rudder pedal stops. He's wondering if undue pressure is being placed on the cables. Is this a possible cause of the early cable fraying?

I'm going to the hanger tonight to review the manuals....argh.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Kyle Wolfe wrote: His question/concern is that the rudder hits the stops long before the rudder pedals bottom out.
I'm going to the hanger tonight to review the manuals....argh.
Kyle,
That's what the springs are for.....Brad
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks Brad. Guess I need to ask him the obvious question "Are there rudder springs in there?!"
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Thanks Brad. Guess I need to ask him the obvious question "Are there rudder springs in there?!"
Kyle,
Well aparently they are there....the funny thing about Cessna is that if the rudder cables arn't draging on the Belly and the rudder is hitting the stops, there good to go....there's no tention setting for rudder cables......Brad
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

The rudder system travel limit is determined by the rudder stops there's no other restraint of the input in the system other than the base of the pedals. That's why you'll find the occasional crack in the longitudinal bulkhead where the pedals / rudder torque tubes are attached. The crack is sometimes found in the bulkhead, in and around the rudder torque tube bearing block attach holes.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Sorry, but I want to be clear....Do you guys agree that the rudder stops can hit on the rudder prior to the rudder pedals bottoming out? This creates a more tension on the rudder cables, agree?

Or should the rudder pedals bottom out at the same time as the rudder stops?

My mechanic is of the opinion that the rudder has hit the stops and the rudder pedals are continuing past that point while turning, causing the excess cable tension.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that the rudder bottoming-out upon the rudder limits will overstress those cables or cause any failure of the cables. (Those cables have a 7-THOUSAND pound ultimate load limit each.)

The rudder should hit the stops before the pedals are limited.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks George! Just a bad break :wink: I guess.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta