Valve Cover Gaskets

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1478D

Re: MUD BUG HEAVEN

Post by N1478D »

flyguy wrote:The "mud-bug gray" is also a patented thing on my engine. What is does is change to red when it gets hot. That way I know when it is runnin or not. As for sittin, I been tryin to hatch new little ones. I guess that experimental test didn't work either.

I'm takin it off the nest to go to Reklaw at the end of October. I guess you won't be there to judge the most renewed airplane? Joe probably won't want to park close to me after all the stuff you been telling him about Ole Delta.

As for your off color comments about color, funny enough you are right about paint and price. It isn't only airplane parts that get the Madison Avenue hype. Look what kids are willing to pay for Nike tennis shoes, Tommy Hiltop shirts and holey jeans. Many consumers are dumber than dirt and retailers know that and play it to the hilt. It is just a shame that TSO/PMA also means "clean out their bank account while you are at it".

Any way I hope to see some of you at Dave's fly-in.

OLE GAR
Gary, how much of Lousianna are you bringing with you :?: George has made it sound like you have about 3 acres of it sitting on your 170. The plan is to arrive Friday morning to get a good spot in the trees along side the runway so we can watch the action. :lol: Wanta buy a pet rock - remember that one :?: :lol: It's a shame that it seems there are always people to support the sham artists.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Remember those little bronzed baby shoes that were so popular with all our grandparents friends?
Right before the economic recession of the mid-80's, I was window shopping in downtown Houston and there, in the window of Neiman-Marcus, was a bronze-plated cow chip paperweight for only $320!
There are certain clues that occur at places other than Wall Street when things aren't right.
The only way to get relief, is to get away from it all at Reklaw! http://www.airnav.com/airport/7TA7
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Was it flat black or gloss black accessories and covers? And, was the oil filler cap and dipstick painted black? Mine are painted yellow currently.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
bward

Post by bward »

N1478D wrote:Was it flat black or gloss black accessories and covers? And, was the oil filler cap and dipstick painted black? Mine are painted yellow currently.
Bronze-plated Houston based Neiman-Marcus cow chip paperweights come painted black with yellow dipsticks and accessories? I gotta get out more... 8O
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yellow dipstick handles and yellow oil caps are the accepted color.
flyguy

ARE YOU PACKING?

Post by flyguy »

TO GIT OLE DELTA DOWN TO GROSS WHILE CARRIEN MA LITTLE BITTY WIFE I HADDA CLEAN OFF BOUT 2 ACRES WORTH! SIDES SHE TOLE ME SHE WUNT FLY ENY WHAR WITH ME IFFN I DINT CLEAN UP SO I BLEW THU DUST OFFN MY GITAR CASE TOO.

DIPSTIK??? WHAT IS THAT? THERE IS A RUSTY WAR STICKIN IN A LITTLE HOLE INA BACK U MY MOTER THAT I BIN USIN TU LOOK FER OIL. IZZAT WHATCHER TALKIN ABOUT? I GOT A OILY YELLER CAP TOO BUT DEENY DOANT LIKE FER ME TO WARE IT. IT SEZ "STROHS BEER" "BEST IN THE WEST"! SHE SEZ "BUD'S BEST" AN IFFN I WARE THAT HAT IT WOOD BE FALSLEY ADVERTIZMENT!

GAY HORN ARE U PLANNIN TO COME ON OVER TO DAVE'S? IFFN U DO ARE U BRINGIN URE GITAR? WEEL PLAY SUM DOOETS IFN U HAVE PRACTICED FRUM THE BOOK I GAVE U.

:lol:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

While you guys are strummin your guitars, maybe I could plant my winter crops on your wings :?: Plants are suppose to do better when planted to music :lol:

Anybody old enough to remember if the C145 came from the factory with flat black or gloss black valve covers :?:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Semi-gloss. :wink: (And green was never an external color! It was only for those who are green with envy of larger flaps on airplanes that need them to slow down!)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:Semi-gloss. :wink: (And green was never an external color! It was only for those who are green with envy of larger flaps on airplanes that need them to slow down!)
I Beg to Differ - GREEN was an external color :!:

:lol: When I get that ONE cylinder nice and painted with new screws and a new silicone transplant, you are going to be green with envy. :lol:

Landing 17 at GPM you fly right over a Wal Mart on short final. Their in store loud speaker came over freq 128.55 yesterday evening. "Attention Wal Mart Shoppers! Attention Wal Mart Shoppers! Blue Light Special aisle 6. Bird Dog Bras - buy one, get one free" (bird dog bras make pointers out of setters, George). You are going to have to get something for your plane to give it some lift . . . :twisted:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
flyguy

WHAR THEM BRAES

Post by flyguy »

DEENIE SEZ SHE WOANT WEAR ONE U THEM BRAESERES MADE FER DAWGS BUT IFN I FIND ONE AND TARE OUT THU TAG MEBEE SHE WOANT NO. ID KINNA LIKE TO SEE THEM SETTERS TURN POINTY. :twisted:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N1478D wrote:
gahorn wrote:Semi-gloss. :wink: (And green was never an external color! It was only for those who are green with envy of larger flaps on airplanes that need them to slow down!)

:lol: When I get that ONE cylinder nice and painted with new screws and a new silicone transplant, you are going to be green with envy. :lol:

Landing 17 at GPM you fly right over a Wal Mart on short final. Their in store loud speaker came over freq 128.55 yesterday evening. "Attention Wal Mart Shoppers! Attention Wal Mart Shoppers! Blue Light Special aisle 6. Bird Dog Bras - buy one, get one free" (bird dog bras make pointers out of setters, George). You are going to have to get something for your plane to give it some lift . . . :twisted:
Nope. They were either red or blue. Never green, lest they fly sickly.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:
N1478D wrote:

Nope. They were either red or blue. Never green, lest they fly sickly.
From the original Cessna Model 170A Parts Catalog dated April 1950:

STANDARD PAINT COMBINATIONS MODEL 170A

ITEM COLOR

EXTERIOR INSIGNA RED or CESSNA METALLIC GREEN
INTERIOR SILVER FRENCH GREY
INTERIOR TRIM DARK INDIA or CESSNA BLUE GREEN
LANDING GEAR SPRING #9544 SYNTHETIC GULL GREY ENAMEL

Green was offered George in the 1950 and 1951 models!
Last edited by N1478D on Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

George has an interesting point on original colors. About thirteen years ago I was fortunate to buy an Aeronca Chief with 350 hrsTT since new. It had a bad wing but had never been rebuilt or replaced anywhere. All original rade A fabric, interior, instruments and everything including the engine. I had the grey case color matched so somewhere I have the exact paint color code for Dulux enamel. Also for the interior tubing and yellow and maroon dope formulas but that's another story. The engine cylinders were indeed black with black rocker covers. Now this was a 1946 airplane and I don't know when they actually changed to gold but it seems some old photo or brochures might tell the story. I suspect the 0-300 series somewhere was the change.

Black cylinders do indeed cool better.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I don't know why everyone seems to have a bug up ....about authenticity. I bet NONE of us have an authentic,original 170. I don't think I've ever seen one yet,I've looked at alot of 170's and in fact have photo's of 104 (just counted 'em) different 170's on the wall of my living room.
If you think your 170 is original,check the brakes (Goodyear),com radio (SuperHomer or similar,or none),nav radio (A-N radio range,or none),transponder (none),beacon (rotating or none,no strobes),gyro's(AN or none),generator (25 amp),exhaust (pancake for ragwings & A's),gas caps(non-vented),windshield ("two piece" with strap),I'm sure there's other items but you must get my point.Just for fun,check "Judging Rules--explanation of non-authentic items" -- criteria for original vs. modified 170 awards at the Assn conventions (#1/2002 170 News,page 19).
A while back,on the old site,somebody raised hell about everybody ruining their airplanes by modernizing them. When I asked him if he in fact still had Goodyear brakes,SuperHomer radio,etc.,he decided that the mods on HIS airplane were OK -- it was everybody else's mods that were no good.
I can appreciate an authentic original 170,if I ever see one,but I also appreciate all the modified ones out there. They're all great airplanes!
Keep 'em flying!

Eric
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

zero.one.victor wrote:I don't know why everyone seems to have a bug up ... about authenticity. I bet NONE of us have an authentic,original 170. I don't think I've ever seen one yet,I've looked at alot of 170's and in fact have photo's of 104 (just counted 'em) different 170's on the wall of my living room.
If you think your 170 is original,check the brakes (Goodyear),com radio (SuperHomer or similar,or none),nav radio (A-N radio range,or none),transponder (none),beacon (rotating or none,no strobes),gyro's(AN or none),generator (25 amp),exhaust (pancake for ragwings & A's),gas caps(non-vented),windshield ("two piece" with strap),I'm sure there's other items but you must get my point.Just for fun,check "Judging Rules--explanation of non-authentic items" -- criteria for original vs. modified 170 awards at the Assn conventions (#1/2002 170 News,page 19).
A while back,on the old site,somebody raised hell about everybody ruining their airplanes by modernizing them. When I asked him if he in fact still had Goodyear brakes,SuperHomer radio,etc.,he decided that the mods on HIS airplane were OK -- it was everybody else's mods that were no good.
I can appreciate an authentic original 170,if I ever see one,but I also appreciate all the modified ones out there. They're all great airplanes!
Keep 'em flying!

Agreed, Eric...excellent points! But I think it's good to discuss how these airplanes were delivered, before this information is lost forever.
Originality is a personal thing, no doubt about it. I run into this with the Studebaker Driver's Club. I have a 1964 Avanti, which I take great pains to keep as original as possible. Some members delight in modifying their cars to suit them. That's great...but a few take pot shots at those that are interested in keeping them stock. There's room for everyone!

It's little different for those who own 170s. Some people seem to care less about the vintage history of the airplanes, and design modern panels and late model Cessna (or worse, custom paint schemes!) in an effort to "update" a 50 year old airplane. It's a free country, so why not? You can make your airplane anyway you want.

A very few owners try to keep their airplanes as original as possible, right down to the lousy Goodyear brakes and solid tailwheel, ect. More power to them, too! We need these aircraft as references, because the people who built and designed the 170 are for the most part, long dead...it may seem sublimely unimportant what the original Continental engine colors were, but preserving the factual history of this airplane is part of what this hobby is all about.

My personal choice is to try to keep it stock: appearance wise, anyway. Outside, it has the 1952 paint scheme on polished aluminum (don't even ask!), right down to the large N numbers on the wing. Inside, a original appearing interior, complete with the factory instrument panel. To the casual eye, it looks like a original 170.

But when it comes to safety...guess what? Cleveland brakes, BAS shoulder harness, strobes IFR certified GPS, glide slope, alternator, one piece windshield; I could go on and on. I'm not a purist, especially on safety and increasing the utility of my airplane.

I'm about to do a major overhaul. It's the original engine. And because of the information I've gotten from you guys, it's getting the gray crankcase/black cylinder treatment, because this is one way to stay as delivered 50 years ago, without hurting anything!

It's not an argument about a totally stock 170 versus modified... let's not confuse authenticity efforts with practicality. Attempting to keep it stock doesn't mean down to the last nut and bolt! Russ Farris

Eric
All glory is fleeting...