Bug Removal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Bug Removal

Post by 170C »

I don't have a problem with using wax on the windshield. Pledge or most any wax is probably OK if you aren't going to use one of the products specifically made for plastic windshields/windows. Plain water does a good job if the bugs are removed right after a flight, but if they are several days old (dried) they can be somewhat difficult to remove. The thing I have been told is to NEVER wipe the windshield when it has dust or dirt/mud on it because it will possibly scratch the plastic. Spray or pour water over the area first to wash off the dust, etc. Also I was told many years ago not to wipe in a circular manner. Circular motion, if it does scratch, will leave a circular pattern in the windshield and when the sun hits it at a certain angle it causes glare or reflections that are difficult to see through. Always use an up & down or across motion when cleaning/waxing plastic windshields or windows.
My 2 cents worth.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
MeeksDigital

Post by MeeksDigital »

as for bug removal on the wings and other metal surfaces, i use turtle wax car wash that you mix with water. either that or just straight water of course. it cleans nicely, and adds a little coat of wax to all of the surfaces... niiiice :D

for the windshield, i use plexiglass cleaner from tap plastics. i buy it in one gallon containers and use their little spray applicator bottle to keep in the airplane, it polishes up nicely. just spray on, let sit for 15-30 seconds and wipe off.
-Trevor Meeks

Filmmaker http://www.meeksdigitalstudios.com
Photographer http://www.meeksdigital.com

1950 Cessna 170A N5LP, Horton STOL, 180 Gear
dacker

Post by dacker »

I absolutely hate washing my airplane... but I hate what those little yellow windshield suckers do to my paint even more. I finally wised up and washed my airplane at the beginning of summer, then after each flight I get a bucket of water,a soft rag, and a canuba wax (don't remember which brand), and wax those bugs right off the leading edges, I wind up keeping a thick and fresh coat of wax on the surface which helps when I take the bugs off each time.
As far as the windshield goes, I had a crop duster show me his method which consists of the softest paper towels you can find (Brawny I think) and using turtle wax to take the bugs off. I did this for a while until I realized that it seems to make the dust collect and stick (static electricity). It works well for him because he cleans his wind screen about 50 times a day. I switched to Plexus and that works even better.
I think finding a gallon of plexiglass cleaner would be great if it is cheaper than the plexus!
David
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Hi David,

Aircraft Spruce sells Plexus by the gallon.

Aircraft windshields and windows will last 25 years or more if properly taken care of. The savings over a years time to use anything other than a product made for aviation windshields and windows wouldn't add up to a case of beer. Where's the logic in using anything else?

All paper towels always leave small sratches.
Last edited by N1478D on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I use two products on the exterior of my plane, Rejex and WashWaxAll.

Rejex is made by the same folks who make Corrosion-X and is specifically made for preserving all aircraft exteriors from turbine engine exhaust. It is also the best leading edge bug repellent I have found. They just wipe off with a wet towel. It will keep the whole plane looking like new for months at a time. It does not have any silicone in it.

WashWaxAll makes cleaners which are specifically made for aircraft use. They are non-corrosive, non-toxic, bio-degradeable, and water soluable. The regular is good for windows and bugs. Heavy duty is best for oil and brake dust on wheel pants. I have used them for years and can say they work great. And that's on a plane with a radial engine.

Both products can be found at aircraft supply houses or on the internet, http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html and http://www.washwaxall.com.

Use the softest cloth you can for both products to get the best results.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!