Headliner Bows ?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: Headliner Bows ?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

N9149A wrote:Miles the problem I see with music wire is that it will rust. I think 3/32 is bit light. 1/8 I think and maybe 5/32 is right. Music wire is available at most good hobby shops in 3 foot sections.
I was just trying to be original with the high-carbon steel (thinking waaaaay to much like George! :lol: ). My 55 year old ones are rusty, but they're still there, and still have their temper. The McMaster-Carr stuff I referenced in my post is phosphate coated, which I ASSuME is for rust protection. Cleaning, priming, and painting would also be good. I'm guessing that 36 inches would leave you a bit short, requiring welding (which I know Paul can do :wink: ). By the same token, if the coiled stuff is coiled too tight, straightening it out could be a b***h. Again, for about 0.01AMU delivered, it might be worth a try. I'll try to remember to take my tape measure and caliper to the airport the next time I go.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Well guys, I've enjoyed all the suggestions and think I've found the winner. :D Roesbery's suggestion of antennas got me thinking about an old two way antenna thats been in the way in my shop for years. A little scrounging thru the junk corner in the fire hall turned up three more orphans. The stainless bends to the contour of the roof but doesn't seem to take a "set". A neighbor had some stainless welding rod but it was only 3 feet long and I don't have the equipment or skill to weld stainless and it didn't seem to be as springy as the antenna. The antenna are long enough without a splice. Miles, I bought the wool headliner from Spruce several years ago for I think $125, I remember it was half what Airtex was asking for a wool headliner and someone who's opinion I respect liked Spruce's product better than Airtex.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Miles you don't have to go to the hanger my headliner is right here at the house on a shelf where any good headliner should be. 8)

The bows are .123 thick and the longest one seems to measure 49". Mine are not rusted but are painted
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

N9149A wrote:Miles you don't have to go to the hanger my headliner is right here at the house on a shelf where any good headliner should be. 8)

The bows are .123 thick and the longest one seems to measure 49". Mine are not rusted but are painted
Too late, I just got back from the hangar. :) My bows measured 0.118. A 2.5-mil coat of paint would bring them right up to yours. McMaster-Carr has a 1-lb (24-ft) coil of 1/8" phosphate-coated spring-temper carbon steel wire for $5.66.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
pojawis

Post by pojawis »

How about some fishing rod blanks? To buy them new would be fairly pricey, but one might find something in a yard sale cheap enough. One would want to remove the guides, of course. I would think a 4 or 5 weight flyrod would be about right. To have a symmetric taper across the cabin, cut two of them and join them at their larger diameters with a ferrule.

I've also seen the fiberglass rods that are used for field markers (flags) on athletic fields. those are about 4-5' long and are about a buck or two.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Well if your going to waste your time with a headliner I think we've pretty much covered it. :twisted:

Thread started a bit slow but we got on a roll and managed to go to two pages. We will be inspecting this headliner in Duluth Paul.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You know, Bruce... that antennas are usually tapered ever-so-slightly and that would be detectable as a non-original part if a good judge were to pay close attention..... :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

HA HA--now you started it George- :oops: :oops: :oops: - so will a baggage door and right wing landing light!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

oh yea and a non standard "C" engine.. :lol: :lol: :lol: got there before Bruce. Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Ron I was thinking the tapered headliner stringers should be penalized as much as a non-standard 6 bolt prop and spinner back plate. Forgot about that didn't ya. :wink:

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You guys might wish to re-read the judging rules and the explanation of non-authentic items if you are planning to judge aircraft. :lol:

The prop is not mentiond. The engine rule is : "Any engine other than the Continental C145/O300 series or Franklin 165." My engine/prop therefore is not a deduction. :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

gahorn wrote:....The prop is not mentiond. The engine rule is : "Any engine other than the Continental C145/O300 series or Franklin 165." My engine/prop therefore is not a deduction. :wink:
Props aren't mentioned YET but we will be sure to consider it when we consider tapered headliner bows. Until then it could be said that props and headliner bows should be penalized the same under our judging rules just as I stated. And the penalty is zero because they are not considered. :)

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Thank God I have genuine Cessna headliner bows. I was beginning to sweat this. :lol:
170C

Post by 170C »

I think we should check George's headliner bows (his head too). There just might be one of them (the bows or his head) that isn't an original. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:You know, Bruce... that antennas are usually tapered ever-so-slightly and that would be detectable as a non-original part if a good judge were to pay close attention..... :lol:
170C wrote:I think we should check George's headliner bows (his head too). There just might be one of them (the bows or his head) that isn't an original. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Frank, are you saying George's head might be tapered? If it isn't immediately obvious to the naked eye, we might have measure his head. I'm quite sure that my calipers aren't as large as George's head. :lol:

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne