Should be a Law Against This

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Re: Should be a Law Against This

Post by DaveF »

Teaching primary is tough, all right. I'm in the process of teaching my 15-year-old son to fly the 170. Like all kids he learns fast, but it took a lot longer for him to make decent landings than I thought it would. One day I realized that was because I wasn't letting him land the airplane. Every time he got close to the ground I'd pull the yoke or push the rudder, so he never learned anything. Once I got over my fear of heading for the weeds he made much quicker progress!
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Aryana wrote:That is absolutely ugly. Why???

Thinking back to some of my pre-solo landings in our 170B, I have a lot of respect for my Dad letting me really get into and out of trouble instead of jumping on the controls. It's amazing how forgiving the 170 really is. He certainly did jump on more than a few times and I remember his frustration when I couldn't keep the wing down and use the rudders to keep the plane straight with the ground track. I could have never sat there like he did. He is a patient, brave man!
Aryana,
It is obvious your dad recognized above average skills. You know the addage the apple doesnt fall from the tree, but as far as the 170 goes, it is very forgiving. I totally agree, that is why I instruct in it. But sometime you will get a student like one I have now that claims he has 20 hours in flying and his previous instructor told him that he is ready to solo. The first day I flew with him as my new student, he was flying flat footed on the floor. You would swear he thought he was flying something with a yaw damper. So why is he a new student to me? Why didnt his old instructor solo him? Funny thing about Parker pens and P-51's. I have got so many stories.

The real reason for doing the above pic was the reason Maule aircraft went to training wheel type aircraft with the MT-7. AIRPLANE SALES! All the aircraft manufacturers recognize the sales numbers. It is plain and simple. Reach a greater number of pilots with your product and then you will reach prosperity.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

...the apple doesn't fall (far) from the tree... :wink:

(The person who said that didn't know my brother.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)