Returning to the fold - opinions on this airplane

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Returning to the fold - opinions on this airplane

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:..... Kansas is closer to Maine than Arkansas ....
Is that what you REALLY meant to say, George? If it is, it explains a lot... :lol:

Bangor to Wichita is 1359.
Bangor to Mena is 1316.

But for shipping from ME to AR everything must go either thru DFW or CHIcago. Me to Ks is usually thru MEM.

Either way...it's easier to ship to KS... but the point I wished to make is: They must have had SOME reason to send it to Cessna instead of wingnut... it couldn't have been because they expected better workmanship!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:Bangor to Wichita is 1359.
Bangor to Mena is 1316.
I know what you meant, but when I first read it, it sounded to me as if you were saying Kansas is closer to Maine than (Kansas is to) Arkansas. 8O
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

gahorn wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:..... Kansas is closer to Maine than Arkansas ....
Is that what you REALLY meant to say, George? If it is, it explains a lot... :lol:

Bangor to Wichita is 1359.
Bangor to Mena is 1316.

But for shipping from ME to AR everything must go either thru DFW or CHIcago. Me to Ks is usually thru MEM.

Either way...it's easier to ship to KS... but the point I wished to make is: They must have had SOME reason to send it to Cessna instead of wingnut... it couldn't have been because they expected better workmanship!

Well, there's something to be said about sending the wings back to the factory, rather than to an Arkansas hillbilly. I'm just saying, the fact that whomever was charged with restoring this aircraft, knew enough to know (probably before proceeding with an expensive restoration), to check the wings.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
John_R.

Post by John_R. »

The plane was owned by Dennis Glidden of New Hampshire, an Association member who sadly passed away last year. His family sold the plane in April '11 and it's now on the market by the buyer. All this was told to me this evening by Mr. Glidden's daughter. Apparently the plane was his aviation magnus opus.
I've two calls in to the seller with no response, so have no idea what is going on...
JMR
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

wingnut wrote:[...Well, there's something to be said about sending the wings back to the factory, rather than to an Arkansas hillbilly. ....
Never forget that the FIRST design that Clyde Cessna considered SUCCESSFUL ..... was called the "Flying Bedstead". I suspect most Arkansaw boys (like you and me) have "better'n ecksperiense than mos' en thet katagorie!"

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
907Pilot

Post by 907Pilot »

That aircraft is currently owned by a member of backcountrypilot.org named Pundy. He has a child with a medical condition which is why he selling the aircraft after owning it for such a short time.

Seems like a phenominal deal to me.
John_R.

Post by John_R. »

Unfortunately this plane sold before I could get my mitts on it, so I'm still in the market for an IFR-capable 170..