HORSEPOWER UPGRADE

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

minton

Re: HORSEPOWER UPGRADE

Post by minton »

Sure would be nice to get a smooth running six cyl. engine under the hood. :D
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Rumor has it that Tom at XP mods retained all his STC's at the auction and is now operating under TD Aerospace. He is in the process of getting FAA approval to start producing his products and conversions again. I heard this second hand so take it for what it is. The guy I talked to had talked to Tom yesterday.
falco

Post by falco »

170C wrote:Looks like an alternative, eventually, might be the Lycoming IO-390 engine at 210 hp. Data on one installed on a C-175 reportedly gained about 5 mph vs the IO-360 (Lyc), 180 hp engine, but quite a bit smoother. Doubt it would be as smooth as the Continental IO-360, but maybe a longer life engine? Maybe someone will get an STC for the Continental IO-360 again. Hopefully if they do and the engine happens to have come from a Cessna 172 Hawk XP it will permit the 210 hp vs the Hawk's 195 hp. I think its only an rpm difference. It only comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$ :lol:
Hawk XPs are normally 195 hp, there is an STC by a guy named Isham to set the governor faster and IIRC move the low pitch stop in the propeller.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

It is my understanding that Cessna derated the IO-360 engine by reducing the RPM in the Hawk XP to to quiet it down . This was also done on the C-182 for the same reason except they reduced the RPM and raised the BMEP to maintain the same HP so they would not have to recertify the airplane.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

I heard years ago that the reason the Continental IO-360K (?) was derated to 195 hp on the Hawk XP had to do with certification. Something about keeping the hp under 200 hp. Don't know if that is true or not and if so I don't have any info regarding what the engine producing 200 or 200+ hp does to an aircraft's certification. Maybe some of you do and will enlighten us.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
minton

Post by minton »

TD aerospace has a web site w/ contact phone numbers and Email address.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:I heard years ago that the reason the Continental IO-360K (?) was derated to 195 hp on the Hawk XP had to do with certification. Something about keeping the hp under 200 hp. Don't know if that is true or not and if so I don't have any info regarding what the engine producing 200 or 200+ hp does to an aircraft's certification. Maybe some of you do and will enlighten us.
Certification rules have fuel/oil endurance/capacity rules. If you raise the horsepower....you must raise the fuel/oil endurance (capacity) .. Unfortunately, larger fuel tanks mean more fuel as WEIGHT...which affects gross weight and performances.... and affects necessary structural-strength rules. (Remember when Cessna reduced 40-degree full-flap settings on current production airplanes to 30-degrees? That was due to balked landing-climb requirements and the fact that the rear doorposts were not strong enough for the higher weights if using 40-degree flaps. They'd already penalized themselves structurally by adding "omni-view" rear windows.)
So it becomes a sliding-scale/moving target for any changes made. For that reason (and others) engines are sometimes de-rated when installed into existing designs.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)