Best three mods

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueldr

Re: Best Three Mods

Post by blueldr »

I should think that determining the best modifications would depend entirely how and where you wanted to use the airplane.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

blueldr wrote:I should think that determining the best modifications would depend entirely how and where you wanted to use the airplane.
Bingo, Dick! That is exactly correct!

1. O-300-D with vacuum pump, push button starter, and Hanlon Wilson exhaust
2. IFR moving map GPS with WAAS
3. Fuel flow computer
Last edited by hilltop170 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bigrenna wrote:Gahorn,

I'm not trying to get advice as to how I should mod my A/C as much as hear from those that have and hear about what has worked.

Folks are so quick to give a huge list of what they "feel" are the best changes to make ...?
Thats called"opinions"....and thats what my post was...about mods I've paid for and use/enjoy.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I have the O-300-D in mine as well. I don't fly IFR so, the vacuum pump drives two instruments that I never look at.
The other thing the D gets you is the 35 am generator but, with modern radios and LED lights, I don't know if that's really needed either.

One 'Mod' I did that I will probably undo is re-pitching the propeller. I went from 53 to 51 inches because I thought I needed the extra takeoff performance. As it turned out, I just didnt know how to fly the plane (keep it in ground effect as much so you can to build speed). Cruise dropped 7 or 8 miles an hour. Then I got a digital tach checker and found out my tach reads 100 RPM low and my static run up now exceeds the book.
I'll probably re-pitch to 54 or 55 here soon.

That's a good example of "Don't be in too much of a hurry to mod stuff", I guess.
runerider

Post by runerider »

I have a few mods on a 52 B model. I run out of fingers before I run out of things I've done to my 170. I like all of the things I've done, can't say I like one over the other and can't justify any of them. Cessna did a pretty good job when they built the plane. You need to go out and fly your new toy and see what you need, find out what would make your ownership more enjoyable. All planes have some squawks on them, fix those. Get a list of all the mods that are available start at prop and work towards the tail, that is what I did and now I'm back to front of plane for the 180hp conversion. The rabbit hole gets real deep real fast.
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I really like the SVS manifold vacuum system I installed close to 20 years ago. It's intended to be a backup in case of vacuum pump failure, but I use it to spool up the gyros on the ground, and to keep them spooled up in the pattern or on approaches when my (probably less than adequately configured) venturi system doesn't keep up. It's not a necessity, just a nice-to have. I like it at least as much as George likes red paint. :twisted:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Miles,
At what maximum altitude can you maintain level flight and still provide emergency operational vacuum to your instruments when using your SVS system?

If any of you are old enough to remember the old vacuum operated windshield wipers on automobiles, you may remember that they were reluctant to work when driving at high elevations when the vacuum fell off if the throttle was opened very much.
Last edited by blueldr on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dick, I doubt Miles needs to use that SVS system at altitude, but it'll be interesting to see if he's tried it up there.
Miles, red airplanes don't have the same low-speed problems with venturiis that other colors have.
Aryana... (this is not a challenge to you or your thinking....I'm truly interested in what your concern might be)... If you have a good, operational venturi system, why would you need an SVS system? ( I have to admit I'm curious as to why Miles seems to have vacuum problems down low and in the pattern, unless he's coming to a complete stop, taxying back for takeoff and experiencing gyro-run-down during his taxi period. I can certainly appreciate that situation might be an issue in a training environment. An automatically activated engine vacuum system might be a good solution and is certainly preferable to a vacuum pump, IMO.) If gyro's are spooled up by the time one gets airborne (as they are with venturiis that work properly)...are you concerned you might experience spatial disorientation on the ground? :lol: Or do you plan to takeoff in a single engined airplane into zero-zero? 8O
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

I did a few wing mods to my '54 B model to try to improve the low speed handling charictistics of my plane and help the takeoff performance on skis, especially to get a liitle more lift on those days where the snow was very sticky. I first went with a Horton STOL and vortex generators. I really liked the effect of these mods. For one thing it made the low speed handling both on takeoff and landing very predictable. That brief time after takeoff where you didn't quite know if you could use your ailerons or you needed to kick in some rudder, you just could feel that the ailerons were working. The benefit of these modifications is not the couple of miles per hour V1 speed, but the confidence you can feel in control at the lower speeds is awesome.
The other mod I did was the upgrade to the C-IO360 (X-P Mods ). As a package, I am very pleased with it, but I do burn more fuel than I did with the 0-300. That might lead to yet another mod to get more fuel on board. Can you see where this is leading? At a cost of about eight times the initial cost of my investment ( made in 1974 at $8750,)I have a very good performer, but could I have done better buying a 180? Maybe, but I sure do like to beat 180's on take-off and climb.
This probably won't help you figure out which mods you would like to consider, but they have changed both the magnitude of my investment in my airplane and the performace of this great airplane. Ron (owns C-170B S/N 26163)

PS This airplane was once registered in the US as N2519C. If that means anything to anyone, I would like to hear their story.
cessna170bdriver

Aryana wrote:
I always thought that sounded like a great upgrade Miles. The simplicity of it is attractive. Is there a thread where I can see pictures of your setup?
Sorry, I don't think I do. I installed that before digital cameras were invented, my track record of keeping up with old hard copy pictures is poor. Most of the system is described on the Precice Flight website, at least it used to be. The only thing different from what you'll see there is how I adapted it to my manifold. Basically I bored out the #2 (I think) pipe thread on the right intake manifold where the primer installs on the left one (both manifolds are the same part#) large enough to have a 3/8" pipe to hose adapter (I forget the AN fitting#) welded in. You need one this size to handle the flow. Then it's just a # 6 hose to a bulkead fitting through the firewall to the system, which is basically a shuttle valve which selects vacuum pump (venturis in my case, or manifold vacuum, whichever is stronger. There's also a shutoff valve to block manifold vacuum from the shuttle valve. The whole mechanism is smaller than my fist. The STC didn't require a manifold pressure gauge but I put one in, and it's much easier to use than than the altitude vs. RPM placard they make you put on the panel. I'll check through my photos of my engine overhaul and my panel replacement and see if I accidentally got any pictures of the system.
gahorn wrote:Dick, I doubt Miles needs to use that SVS system at altitude, but it'll be interesting to see if he's tried it up there.
All it takes is manifold pressure 4"Hg less than wide open throttle at any altitude. At 10000ft you are coming down, but if you really need it, you'll be coming down right side up. And yes I have tried it - it's required as part of the STC.

I anticipated your response as to the usefulness of the system, that's why I went ahead threw in the dig on red! :lol:
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:I have the O-300-D in mine ... the D gets you ... the 35 am generator ....
I know others probably noticed this besides me.... just to clarify... it's not the O-300-D (engine model) which qualifies for the 35 A generator. It's the "D" in the SERIAL number of ANY O-300 engine (including -A, -B, -C, -E, etc.) which indicates a damped crankshaft has been installed. It's that damped crankshaft which qualifies for 35A gen installation.
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:
bagarre wrote:I have the O-300-D in mine ... the D gets you ... the 35 am generator ....
I know others probably noticed this besides me.... just to clarify... it's not the O-300-D (engine model) which qualifies for the 35 A generator. It's the "D" in the SERIAL number of ANY O-300 engine (including -A, -B, -C, -E, etc.) which indicates a damped crankshaft has been installed. It's that damped crankshaft which qualifies for 35A gen installation.
I'm just going by memory here (no references on hand), but I thought all O-300's regardless of version or serial # had damped crankshafts. I know the "D" in the serial # of a C-145 indicated a damped crankshaft, and thus eligibility for the 35A generator.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:
I'm just going by memory here (no references on hand), but I thought all O-300's regardless of version or serial # had damped crankshafts. I know the "D" in the serial # of a C-145 indicated a damped crankshaft, and thus eligibility for the 35A generator.

My O-300-C engine is serial number "20565-D"