Factory cabin entry steps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: Factory cabin entry steps

Post by cessna170bdriver »

bsdunek wrote:
dbarron wrote:
bsdunek wrote:Our 170 had an anti-skid coating from the factory. I belive it was a paint type product, but not sure. I have used the wing walk paint and it works very well.

Do you have any photos showing this? I am not doubting anyone but how did you find out it was from the factory that way?
Because I was there!
Bruce, aren't you still flying the 170 your Dad bought new?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I suggest you leave them without anti skid material so that the time it takes for you to slide off of them and twist your ankle, smash your knee cap into the door sill or gouge your leg wide open with the step, will be shorter and you will then become part of the true group known as Cessna 170 owners. Smashing your far head into the flap trailing edge leaving the Cessna diamond imprint only ranks one as a curious observer. :wink:

Seriously, the two most dangerous things that immediately come to mind about our 170s is the step and the wing trailing edge. You have got to be a million times more likely to be hurt by them than the spinning prop because most of us equate a spinning prop as dangerous and treat it accordingly.

Several years ago I "acquired" a roll of anti skid material. It is 4" wide and perfect for cutting into rectangular pieces for the step and any other place you may not want to slip on. it has working well and surviving living outdoors year round as my 170s have not been hangared. There is no manufacture name on it but I'll bet 3M makes some like it. Probably available at the local hardware store. It's an alternative to the wing walk paint.
Anti skid.jpg
Anti skid.jpg (103.39 KiB) Viewed 4299 times
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

Ok guys, I appreciate the concerns of slipping and such, you are exactly right. This is my way of thinking though. It is just as easy an application now as it would be ten years from now. They are out in the open. With all the skydiving steps we have made, that anti-slip we use is perfect. I would like to make it as original as all possible right after it is done for a few shows and such, but then, for preservation, i will make some mods to help it's appearrance/functionality later on in life.
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

An excellent source of anti slip material to attach to metal surfaces is a piece of the abrasive used on a drum type floor sander.
Even a "worn out" one is ok for the purposed use.
Have a floor finisher give you one of his old ones. It'l last you the rest of your life.
BL
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Well I think I get the dunce cap here as I chromed my steps....slippery?.. Oh Ya. But I've seen a few steps snap so I never use them myself. I put one leg in and grab the assist handle and push up on the seat at the same time with my other hand. I think its performing a pre-flight self health check.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

My left-side step broke once, but it welded up just fine -- probably stronger than new. I still use it, but try not to jump up and down on it. :lol:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

c170b53 wrote:Well I think I get the dunce cap here as I chromed my steps....slippery?.. Oh Ya. But I've seen a few steps snap so I never use them myself. I put one leg in and grab the assist handle and push up on the seat at the same time with my other hand. I think its performing a pre-flight self health check.
Well, and that too! I honestly dont reccollect using them when I get in and out. I just need photos even if they dont prove anything. I am putting together a book full of documentary photos (factory original, etc.) for display and if anyone else needs them in the future. any help is greatly appreciated! :)
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

Aryana wrote:Dillon, can you post here when you update your blog with new pics of the paint? Looking forward to seeing how it all came out.
Yes, I was looking to but I know there are some restrictions as to where I can post. Should I post in the Hangar section? Is that alright??
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The anti-skid tape is also available from marine stores, in both black and in white.

The steps are hollow and have the same internal corrosion hazards as steel-tubed fuselages, etc.. Whenever they are removed and/or opened up it's probably a good idea to inspect them internally and fill them with oil, drain, then plug them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

George,
That is a good idea, Ill make sure I do that. It is a whole lot easier now than later!
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Considering the amount of work it takes to remove the steps (so I've been told); would it be a good idea to drill a drain hole (or is there one already) and blast the inside with WD40 or other anti-corrosion spray?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

dbarron wrote:
Aryana wrote:Dillon, can you post here when you update your blog with new pics of the paint? Looking forward to seeing how it all came out.
Yes, I was looking to but I know there are some restrictions as to where I can post. Should I post in the Hangar section? Is that alright??
Dillion, there is no restriction (that I can think of) against posting a link or an update to a blog such as yours as long as your not selling something.

In fact I edited your post with the url to your link so it is a hot link and people don't have to copy and paste the url.

I would suggest The Pilot Lounge is probably a more appropriate place for your blog unless you get into great detail how you are going about restoring your airplane. I would suggest you simply start a thread called Dillons 170 restoration blog and place the link into it. Then when you update your blog you can post a notice to that thread.

As for the steps, I don't think I'd drill a hole in them. If I had them removed I'd fill them with some epoxy primer and let it drain out.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Regarding the anti slip issue, while I don't have any idea what may have been original (and anyone judging a 170 at a fly in, etc. probably wouldn't know either) but the wing walk product that George mentioned and attached a photo of the can is what I have used for years and it works great. It doesn't seem to wear off like some I have seen. Attaching tape or other products would seem to eventually begin to peel off of the steps. I removed both of my boarding steps a year or so back because I thought one was cracking. Turned out it was only the paint that cracked, but mine have both been welded previously and I had a welder weld a small gusset where the horizonal step and the step "strut" meet. So far it has worked very well. They are hollow as mentioned, but the way they are attached I have doubts about them ever coming loose. Removal & reinstallation wasn't too bad. I think the weakest link in getting in or out of our conventional geared planes it the assist strap. If it should break as you have a lot of stress on it you could easily fall back on your head. The strap itself seems pretty strong, but the attach fittings will break. I have had two to do so, but fortunately no injuries or falls. We need to find someone who can cast some new/strong ones for our assn.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
54170b

Post by 54170b »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I suggest you leave them without anti skid material so that the time it takes for you to slide off of them and twist your ankle, smash your knee cap into the door sill or gouge your leg wide open with the step, will be shorter and you will then become part of the true group known as Cessna 170 owners. Smashing your far head into the flap trailing edge leaving the Cessna diamond imprint only ranks one as a curious observer. :wink:

Seriously, the two most dangerous things that immediately come to mind about our 170s is the step and the wing trailing edge. You have got to be a million times more likely to be hurt by them than the spinning prop because most of us equate a spinning prop as dangerous and treat it accordingly.

Several years ago I "acquired" a roll of anti skid material. It is 4" wide and perfect for cutting into rectangular pieces for the step and any other place you may not want to slip on. it has working well and surviving living outdoors year round as my 170s have not been hangared. There is no manufacture name on it but I'll bet 3M makes some like it. Probably available at the local hardware store. It's an alternative to the wing walk paint.
Anti skid.jpg
I walked into the wing while following my 5' boss (I'm 6'4") he walked under with no problem, but I was carrying the prop for a bonanza and got a nice print on my forehead. I was nicknamed harry potter until it healed. To prevent this I was thinking of adding a bulb angle to my trailing edge.
on the steps I have some newer ones with the teardrop shape from a 185 I think. I was thinking about selling them and buying some normal ones. any opinions?
54170b

Post by 54170b »

Those are the 170 steps, the teardrop steps are more I think