Maps

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Re: Maps

Post by bagarre »

I prefer to keep my paper navigational device North forward in the plane.
This was a habit developed while using charts in my sailboat.
Every time I try to align the paper navigational device to my route of flight, I get mixed up on which way I'm going.

For the record, EVERY other pilot I've ever flown with has told me its SO much easier with the paper navigational device aligned with the route of flight but I still don't like it.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

David, at work in the helicopter world, where a high percentage of pilots are military trained, in the tradition of inter service rivalry, I call pilots who set north up a Marine. There of course is nothing wrong with being a Marine and setting your device to track north up, unless your traveling in any other direction of course. You see as an Army Aviator we were taught the extra critical step how to turn the map around in the direction your traveling. Amazing. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:David, at work in the helicopter world, where a high percentage of pilots are military trained, in the tradition of inter service rivalry, I call pilots who set north up a Marine. There of course is nothing wrong with being a Marine and setting your device to track north up, unless your traveling in any other direction of course. You see as an Army Aviator we were taught the extra critical step how to turn the map around in the direction your traveling. Amazing. :lol:
I too prefer the "track up" display. :wink:
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I may have to start turning my maps.
As a prior Navy guy, the last thing I want is to be mistaken for a Marine 8O

Oddly enough, I prefer track up on my digital navigational devices.
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

Always north up, that way the words aren't upside down when heading south!
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I plan flights on a chart table with North Up.
I fly airplanes track up.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I always used to plan and fly with north up. Now I just use a GPS.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I've never been in the military so I can go either way with a paper chart. It usually depends on which way I'm going and how I feel that particular day. Usually the chart is held north up.

The GPS is a different deal altogether. I always use track up on the moving map GPS. That way, the pink line is vertical if I'm on course. If I have turned off course, the pink line will be tilted and without crunching any numbers and with minimal brainpower, I immediately know which way to turn and how much with just a glance. With north up, that doesn't work.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

"Follow the magenta brick road" :lol:
170C

Post by 170C »

I pretty much follow the same manner as Richard. I, too, wasn't in the military so I don't have that experience to refer to or untrain myself.

David, I always heard that the Marine Corp was a division of the Navy. Is this not correct :?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

170C wrote:David, I always heard that the Marine Corp was a division of the Navy. Is this not correct :?
I wasn't going to point that out Frank. :roll:

ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Well I was invited into the military by my government and ended spending over 6years there and found different parts of the our military read maps differently.it was hard at first but being where you are is the most important information you can have .Being a foot soldier it was where you are and how long to the next rock . when I took up flying in the military it was track up . I taught my wife to navigate ,Big mistake. even when a couple miles off course ,she is on my back. I am there to have fun.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I would think that flyers of RC model airplanes would be good at being able to read a chart oriented top north in view of their ability to fly their models in all different directions.
I have never had any problem of becoming directionally coufused when flying an airplane in any direction with the chart at top north.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr wrote:I would think that flyers of RC model airplanes would be good at being able to read a chart oriented top north in view of their ability to fly their models in all different directions.
That is an excellent observation BL. As a RC pilot I can tell you that becomes second nature once you are one with the plane while flying it and not just watching it fly. Coming from a commercial printing family my early days where spent learning to read upside down and backward as that is how Linotype is. It's not hard but it does take practice.

As an Army Aviator I was trained to read a map in any direction. Sectionals of course were used up high at 1000 ft agl but when we got low and on a topographical map you always turned it to the direction of travel.

Today I fly EMS as many of you know. My job is to throw in a coordinate and fly directly to it. It is amazing how hard it really is to find an emergency scene with fire trucks and ambulances with their lights flashing. Hard to believe but it's true. Anyway I've been caught once or twice when the scene was in a northerly heading, getting to the scene, not being able to find it and looking at the GPS for situational awareness of my position in relation to the coordinates, and by this time the zoom on the GPS is at 1 mile, and no matter which direction I think I should turn towards the coordinates, it's wrong. It is that moment when I really don't need the extra pressure, I realize some darn Marine before me set the GPS to North up.

lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

blueldr wrote:I would think that flyers of RC model airplanes would be good at being able to read a chart oriented top north in view of their ability to fly their models in all different directions.
I have never had any problem of becoming directionally coufused when flying an airplane in any direction with the chart at top north.
RC pilots use charts? I always pictured them as map users. :wink:
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL