Refinishing Spring Gear legs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: Refinishing Spring Gear legs

Post by c170b53 »

I would drop off my gear there, but then the inner Scotsman might cost me some sleep! Whats the rate for a pair of legs?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

hilltop170 wrote: Tom-
Would you please post the contact info for ASCO? I have never heard of them.
Thanks!
Not much sense now, they just had a major chemical fire last week. the whole place is ashes. and a huge EPA night mare.

Here is they were;
http://www.askogroup.com

Here is the story:
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/slidesho ... -94703.php
Last edited by T. C. Downey on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

c170b53 wrote:Well you can see it with a 10X and its actually a requirement after peening to ensure the treated area (although it should be) is uniform (no missed spots).
As for hydrogen embrittlement, well caustic substances can cause this issue in high strength steel, doesn't mean it will but it increases the probability.
If you use power tools you might want to think about heat generation with respect to any metal your working on. I know we had to remove Cratex wheels from our workplace because knowledgeable personnel knew they where generating heat but did not realize the amount of heat which unfortunately was damaging metal. To be fair, initially they used cratex sticks to remove defects (ie gouge in a skin) and would work the repair by hand. Cratex wheels driven by air tools air came along and increased production but introduced the heat generation problem.
I think the DIY could get by with portable media blaster and rattle cans and although possibly its not ideal not to do a full lookie- see, its better than wondering. Bruce how am I doing in dissuading you from putting this off, further? :D
When you have a .010" to 020" dents in the surface of steel, you can certainly see the results with out a magnifying glass. The whole surface looks different than wrought steel that just came from the rollers.

hydrogen embrittlement is relieved by a 24 hour bake at 400 degrees, that is all it requires. The problem becomes finding an oven large enough.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Tom, I don't think we have been working on the same type of products.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I can't seem to agree with Tom Downeys comment about bead blasting peening over cracks. Glass beads peening hard steel gear legs ??? I can't see it at all.
BL
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Not much sense now, they just had a major chemical fire last week. the whole place is ashes. and a huge EPA night mare.

Here is they were;
http://www.askogroup.com

Here is the story:
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/slidesho ... -94703.php[/quote]

I use Asko for a lot of different things. Plating and and chromic acid dip for magnesium parts of the Nene 10 engines we work on for the T-33's. Canadian (CT-133's) I was talking to Tom Anderson of The Landing Gear Works last week and asked if the fire had affected him, he had several sets of gear up at Asko for re-work and he said that after the fire he got them back quicker than usual. Their entire plant did not burn down they have two buildings the one to the east is the one that burned. All of the work I have had done was performed in the west building. They may still be in operation.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

blueldr wrote:I can't seem to agree with Tom Downeys comment about bead blasting peening over cracks. Glass beads peening hard steel gear legs ??? I can't see it at all.
Read this
AC 43.13-1B
TABLE 5-5. Pre-cleaning methods for penetrant inspection.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I guess that rules out using a needle gun as well. :wink: