Forward carry through spar

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Re: Forward carry through spar

Post by 170C »

Joe, rest assured you aren't the first nor will you be the last to forget to replace the oil filler cap. It happened to me twice within 6 months several years ago :oops: Sure makes a mess :!: Fortunately our filler is behind the pressure bulkhead so we don't get the suction that the larger bore Continentals do. I understand they will suck out most of the oil in a fairely short time. The first time I forgot (got distracted) I flew for over 3 hours with the cap off and the tail wheel springs got a good lubercating. As I seem to recall that I only lost less than 1/2 a quart.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

gahorn wrote:Corrosion is caused by more than the storage-environment of the home-field.
Airplanes flown in rain, or humid destinations,....wash-jobs... ...leaving the ground, going up to altitude, descending back through temperature-levels for 60 years....with moisture-exhaling occupants... creates condensation...which in partnership with dust/dirt/soaps/time.... all contribute.

Inspect, Inspect, Inspect.
Bingo!!
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

This airplane has spent the majority of its life in Arizona, but tied down outside. Never seen a hangar until I got it. Flight records and FAA a records show owners in Midwest for a few years then out here to AZ. Lots of dust in the aircraft that didn't help I am sure. The scary part is the rear wing spar attach points in the wing are only seen with the skin above the tank out. The city is redoing the ramp in front of my hangar so no access until Wed night or Thurs night.....darn it....I want to get on it....
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

So during removal of the wing attach blocks in the rear carry through spar, I discovered a drill bit sticking out of a hole gone wrong....great craftsmanship here on someones part
Attachments
spar block.PNG