Grimes Rotating Beacon

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: Grimes Rotating Beacon

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Jr.CubBuilder wrote:Crud! Mine just quit last weekend. Instead of the usual coffee grinder sounds on pre-flight it just made twitching noises and vibrated a little. A quick rap with the knuckles and it began stuttering around in a circle again, so I shrugged my shoulders and went flying. I really kind of like the damm thing for its nostalgia factor, but I may have to replace it with some LEDs also. :(
Mine suffered a similar death several months ago. I did a post mortem on the motor and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. The brushes looked good, but unfortunately I broke the brush lead trying to reassemble the motor (I didn't know they MADE wires that small! 8O ). I'm still trying to decide whether to convert to strobe or try to ressurect the beacon. I do like the grind and whirr of the beacon, but I do occasionally fly "down below" (where the LAX terminal chart is a good idea), and I can't help but think that strobes would "reach out" farther.
gahorn wrote:(While not an approved repair, ... more than one has had it's motor replaced with a simple automotive turn flasher unit.)
George, In what orientation would it be best to "park" the lights in the beacon if one were to er, um, "test" the above mod.? :wink:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The guts were removed as were the reflectors, and a single, bright "automotive backup lamp" was substituted within the unit. It looked/worked great! (Heard recently from the owner who said the unit still works great after 7 years. He's replaced the 99-cent bulb one time.)

He's also added wingtip strobes to his airplane so the red, flashing beacon is for "entertainment" purposes, but it sure looks good at night and shows up a long distance aways.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rmagos

Post by rmagos »

located "new" Grimes rotating beacon for our '55 170 at Avlite Aviation ! being shipped as of now. was told they have a lot of new ones on hand.units are 24 volt,thought I would canniblize if it rotates too slow, will advise when I get it and bench test. Just happy to get a new lens and seal! I called @ 1-805-239-4037 also www.avliteaviation.com
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

OK, someone enlighten me :!:
What is wired in series with the 12V feed to the beacon motor (installed in the beacon housing)? I assume it is a capacitor, but I've only seen caps wired in parallel on DC motors. Is it just a diode? Whatever it is, what's it's purpose? The bearings on my motor are shot although it seems to be running just fine. I am trying to locate a suitable (and of course legal :roll: ) replacement. If I can find a replacement, is the capacitor still required or is this something that may be pre-installed on newer DC motors? What about trying to find a brushless DC motor as a replacement?

Thanks
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Richard,
Do you have a Grimes or a Whelen rotating beacon? If it is a Whelen, sometime is 1966 they added a diode to protect the bulb from spike voltages. Here's a picture from SL 66-22 / SK 150-22:
SL66-22.png
Gary
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

Sorry, completely forgot to specify. It's a grimes.

I've never seen anything wired this way. I suspect that is because of the vintage. The power lead comes in and splits to the motor and the light as expected. On the motor side, it goes into one side of a black cylinder (what I suspect is a capacitor). On the other side of the "cap", a shielded wire comes out. The shield itself is wired to the negative motor lead, while the center wire goes to the positive side of the motor. I believe this is just a strange way of installing a parallel capacitor, just done in a different way that one might expect. As far as my experience tells me, a capacitor would indeed want to be placed in parallel with the motor to reduce electrical noise/backfeed.

I am having a hard time locating a suitable replacement. I am thinking a local electric motor shop may be able to help rebuild this one. I don't think I want to buy a cheap Chinese motor for $2.00 and call it an acceptable replacement.
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

In case anyone was interested, I just heard back from avliteaviation(.com), they have new grimes motors in stock for $325. Although it's actually cheaper than I expected, I think I'll wait till mine quits spinnin'.
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I think I'd convert to a strobe first.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
glen berna

Post by glen berna »

My fuselage rotating beacon needs to be replaced. What can I replace it with? Thanks Glen
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hi Glen.

You might not realize what a wide open question you just asked. No doubt you have a rotating beacon of some sort mounted on your fuselage somewhere. Problem is it could be any rotating beacon, mounted anywhere. Fact is we don't even know what plane you have though we will speculate it is a 170.

You see 170s didn't come with rotating beacons. They were added later. This is a perfect example off when a picture could be worth a thousand words.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

An excellent choice would be the Whelen strobe which is a drop-in replacement for most Grimes units. It's a simple matter to remove three screws which hold your Grimes in place... pull it out...disconnect the wiring,... connect the wiring to the Whelen... slide the Whelen into the Grimes place... re-install the three screws... make a log entry.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... lfcont.php
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Clearance to install will depend on the previous location of your deceased unit. This is what I installed MODEL 70509 SERIES Whelan sell contained unit. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... tained.php Although its not FAA okie dokie.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

gahorn wrote:An excellent choice would be the Whelen strobe which is a drop-in replacement for most Grimes units. It's a simple matter to remove three screws which hold your Grimes in place... pull it out...disconnect the wiring,... connect the wiring to the Whelen... slide the Whelen into the Grimes place... re-install the three screws... make a log entry.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... lfcont.php

It looks like I am the second one to resurrect this old thread, but mine died yesterday. This looks like a great solution although I will sorely miss that old grinder churning away behind me.

My question is: Do I want the Standard Assembly, or the Radio Shielded assembly that costs an arm and a leg more? I am great at taking things apart and putting them back together again.......Electricity is like a foreign language to me however.

Thanks!
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

If you have electronics, get the shielded so no interference.
John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

This seems strange. Why would they make a radio-shielded version? Is the standard version just for NORDOs?

The Whelen web page has a contact email. I'd ask Whelen.

Or you could avoid the whole problem by using an LED unit. High-voltage strobes are obsolete.