Gear legs again?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Re: Gear legs again?

Post by bagarre »

Not something to be accomplished in my grass tie down.
I'll add it to the list of things that should be done at annual.
Thanks!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:I think George came up with a figure for allowable damage for Cessna spring gear and I'd ask him for the specifics. I would look at those figures and the specific gear they relate to, to determine the allowable damage to your specific gear. Depending on the thickness found at the damage location and the percentage of material removed its likely the damage can be blended out and watched rather than replacing the leg. In my opinion it's a case of knowing the devil you have versus the other one.
I posted the specifics in the MX Library: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... +corrosion
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

lowNslow wrote:Gary, it looks likes the gear was moving in the outboard gear bracket to create that wear, how did the bracket look?
The bracket looks good with no sign of unusual wear. I was more concerned about the pitting than the abrasion marks as the pitting is quite a bit deeper. The abrasion marks almost look like someone started to dress out the pitting with a die grinder then had second thoughts ... to paint over the pitting instead of dealing with it. :evil: The plane was used as a crop duster years ago. It's quite possible that the corrosion is from that time period.
Gary