Headliner - Spruce or Airtex

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

T. C. Downey

Re: Headliner - Spruce or Airtex

Post by T. C. Downey »

I just finished installing one from Airtex, it didn't fit worth a hoot. the cross rods loops were in the wrong place. by 2-3"
edbooth

Re: Headliner - Spruce or Airtex

Post by edbooth »

mccarlie wrote:
Bill Hart wrote:Mine is a 49' A model and yes they have a little old lady there who actually sews them up. They will also ask how you want the zipper to run. Across the airframe or fwd to aft. Mine runs fwd to aft. Here are some photos. One is during the install before I shrank it. The next is how it looks today. This was the first headliner I have installed so it’s not perfect and having done it once now I could make it look a whole lot better the next time. Installation was straight forward; I started at the back and worked my way forward. I used tongue depressors to work the fabric into what I call the tiger teeth (don’t know the actual nomenclature) this worked well you just need to take your time. After it was in I used water from a spray bottle (make sure it’s clean) and a heat gun to shrink it up. Be cautious of using too much heat. A good hair drier would work well.
I have a question about attaching headliner in my 170B. I have all four front headliner bows attached to the ceiling with ends in provided holders on sides of each bow. But the rear two metal bow supports - where do the upper part and ends anchor? I have rebuilt the aircraft over an 11-year period and don't remember how it was originally anchored.
The ends are captured by metal tabs with a small slot. The middle is held in place by small metal straps fastend by two sheet metal screws.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver