To buy or not to buy

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: To buy or not to buy

Post by n2582d »

gahorn wrote:After seeing the pic, all that worry about the engine is less troublesome than the pic of that panel raises.

... Hope that panel is legal
Looks like you have a spare hole for a stall warning light/buzzer. It's required equipment according to the TCDS on the '52. Very nice looking plane! Looks like you bought a creampuff! Congratulations!
Gary
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

To me it looks like the stall light/horn just to the left of the airspeed indicator.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

The only real problem I had with a 172 B buy like yours was the radios. Narco 120D The cards in them had absorbed moisture and they failed. I was told the older radio cards were different from the more modern and did not like moisture. One of the guys in a nearby hanger takes his radio out of his Cub every year and runs a hair drier over the cards. He says he lost a radio because of moisture.
Don't worry about the cam and lifters. They sit on the low side and can hold oil better than the Lycomings.
I still like to use the Shell 100 + in my 0-300D. It has an F&N filter conversion.
Good luck with you new baby!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Tom Downey is advertising what appears to be a good deal on a late B model for sale in the forum below.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

blueldr wrote:Tom Downey is advertising what appears to be a good deal on a late B model for sale in the forum below.
I know as threads get longer they get harder to remember all the content and looking back takes time. This one started with a question as to whether to buy a particular 170. It progressed to the ultimate purchase and then the inevitable comments after purchase.

And now BL suggests he should buy a different 170. 8O Pretty tuff on a guy who has owned his 170 less than a month BL. :lol:

BTW the post by Tom that BL references has been moved to the members intercom area to abide by forum rules.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com