Weight & Balance

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

grwmo

Re: Weight & Balance

Post by grwmo »

If you add weight in the baggage/tail area to move the cg, does this make the tail wheel heavy. What should the tail wheel weigh on the typical 170?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

grwmo wrote:If you add weight in the baggage/tail area to move the cg, does this make the tail wheel heavy. What should the tail wheel weigh on the typical 170?
The tail wheel has it's own weight (described in the Type certificate and dependent upon which model tailwheel you are discussing.) Baggage compartment contents would not affect the actual weight of the tailwheel itself.
If you slid a scale beneath the tailwheel of a 170 you would likely find about 110-150 lbs would read on the scale depending on what was loaded/unloaded.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
grwmo

Post by grwmo »

My reference to tail wheel weight referred to the weight on the tail wheel amd not the weight if the actual tail wheel. When weighed level and empty the weight on the tail wheel was 146lb. I weighed it down on the ground with fuel and the weight was 195lb. Although it seems to take a little bit to get the tail up on take-off it is almost impossible to get the tail down for a 3 point landing. It seems that the tail would settle down but it really likes to land on the main gears. Maybe no flaps would let the tail down.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

146 is a bit on the tail heavy side than most. I wouldn't worry about it. To get the tail down in a 3 point fly slower.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:146 is a bit on the tail heavy side than most. I wouldn't worry about it. To get the tail down in a 3 point fly slower.
Bruce,
Run 146 tail wheel weight through your Weight and Balance calculator, when I do a quick and dirty check I get 47.4 inches 1 inch past the rear limit. I would take an empty weight of 1333 lbs. to get to 46.4 inches. It would see really hard to put any fuel, passengers or weight in the baggage area.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"