Calendar

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Doug (and others) while looking at the AvWeb site, I noticed that they have a policy for submission of photos in order to protect themselves. Here it is. It seems like a good idea for us to follow the same guidelines: (substitute TIC170A for AVweb):

Some Basic Rules:
Images may only be submitted by the original photographer. Copyrighted images will be considered if submitted by the copyright holder, subject to rule #2 below.

AVweb will hold non-exclusive rights publish the image at its discretion, as part of the current POTW contest, or in the future. The owner of the image will retain all other rights.

All images considered for AVweb's POTW Contest must be submitted via this POTW Contest page and the link below. No submissions sent to AVweb via email will be acknowledged or considered.

Any submitted image lacking an aviation theme will not be considered.

Each image submitted must be in either .GIF or .JPG format.

Each week's POTW Contest winner will be chosen at the sole discretion of AVweb's editors. Judging for each week's contest is on the Sunday prior to the publication of the winners. Entries received after judging begins will be entered in the following week's contest.

AVweb may, at our discretion, edit, resample or crop any image prior to publishing.
Some Basic Tips:
Originality is key. (We've already seen too many copies of the image showing two airline pilots looking back at the camera while a Beech Baron filled their windshield, the hovering Apache behind the tree or the F-14 pulling a waterskier...) Send us images of your airplane, something humorous, whatever. The sky's the limit!

Enter as often as you like. (We have plenty of disk space...)

Questions concerning AVweb's POTW Contest may be submitted via email to Picture of the Week. Please be patient when waiting for a response.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Thanks to everyone who has sent me photos. I'm compiling and editing them right now as I wait for a few more to roll in. I have 170s on the ground, inflight, on skis, at remote strips, but NO FLOATS. Anybody got any good photos of 170s on floats? It would be nice to have one or two.

Remember, the need to be high resolution - at least 300 dpi when sized to 11 x 8.5
Doug
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

doug8082a wrote:...at least 300 dpi when sized to 11 x 8.5
This seems to imply that an 8 megapixel camera is needed, but I think a good 4 MP camera in 'high resolution mode' should suffice. This gives JPEG images of 2272x1704 pixels on my camera. These print nicely at 8x10 inch size with a good 600 dpi (or more) printer.

I wouldn't use less than a 4 megapixel camera for this size print.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

A good scanner can accomodate this as well if working from a standard photograph. I can handle resizing it provided the resolution is there. So far, the photos I've received look as though they will work (with a couple of exceptions whom have already been emailed).

Some folks have sent me photos to scan, so that's an option as well. I have sworn on the soul of my 170 to return said photos intact.

I'm getting close to having enough pics. I'll know better by the end of the week, I think.
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If you run short of airplane pictures, I have some very nice ones of naked ladies!
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

No Doug is right. Most people don't own a digital camera with enough resolution to capture a photo with enough information for the printing process. 8 mega pixels is close.

It is NOT the same as the printer or process you have sitting on your desk.

In fact most scanners found on the desk top do not have enough resolution and or density range to capture a good scan. If you have a 3x5 photo and you want to scan it with enough resolution to print 8.5 x11 you would need a scanner with at least a true 750 DPI squared and not emulated.

Doug could ask the printer if he could use a lower screen ruling to print the calendars. The printer probably uses 150 lpi screen and I'd think everyone would be happy with 100 lpi. Using the lower screen ruling will allow lower resolution photos but you'd probably still need 5 mega pixels.

Oh yes and for the best quality DON'T send a jpeg file. Compression works by throwing out information lost for ever in the process. Yes the raw uncompressed file will be over 10 megs maybe approaching 20 megs.

How do I know this. This was my realm of expertise for more than 25 years before I quit the industry for an easier (and lower paying) MedEvac pilot position.

BTW probably the best way for most of us to take a picture and get enough resolution is to use a FILM camera. Take the film to your favorite developing place (Wal-Mart) and ask that the film be converted to a CD with the highest reolution possible. When you get the CD find the raw file that you want and copy it to another CD to be mailed to Doug.
If you don't have a film camera and only a low resolution (under 5 mega pixel) camera I'd get a 7 x 10 (Lots of desktop scanners cant scan 8.5x11 so get it smaller) high quality print made. Find a friend with the best scanner you can and scan it. If it is 7 x 10 you only need 400 dpi to achieve a large enough file.

Isn't the printing world wonderful :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Thanks Bruce! :D

re: CDs, I have had some questionable results from those Cd developing houses. Some photos I wound up rescanning myself because the image quality on the CD basically stunk. The resolution was there, but accurate color reproduction went out the window. When getting a roll developed as BOTH prints and CD, there were noticable differences in color accuracy between the two for the same picture. If you go the CD route, make sure the result is what you expect.

Re: the Printer, they require a minimum resolution of 300dpi (with a 15% "grace"). In other words, I can resize an image by about 15% (@ 300 dpi) with not much of a penalty with respect to quality.

My scanner can handle 1200 dpi and up, so scanning something at 300 or 600 is no problem if someone sends me photos (as some have already done). I have received some good digital images and some not so good ones. I should have enough to get this done. I'll be talking to the printer again early next week.
Doug
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks to the person responsible for putting the calendar on the members page! Just noticed it today.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Thanks to the person responsible for putting the calendar on the members page! Just noticed it today.
The accolades go to: Dale Medendorp, Treasurer, Webmaster, and Ace Koom-Boom! :lol: (He specifically is exempt from all liability for comets, tsunami, earthquakes, sightings, auroras, and miscellaneous phenomena during the period chronicled by the calendar.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Well now, that's really neat. How can we view/print the future months? To everyone involved thanks for the effort .
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Regarding the printed calendar project I embarked on, I have devided to shelve it until summer and try to print a 16 month one for 9/05 - 12/06.

Thank you to everyone who donated photos. The problem was the timing. By the time I got submissions from folks and dealt with scanning them and/or requesting resubmissions to address size/resolution issues, it used up too much time. Had I realized sooner that our previous calendar person was completely out of the "business", as it were, then I would have started this project last October/November.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. Your submissions were not in vain. Maybe we'll have some ready for the convention.
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Hi Everyone,

I'm restarting the calendar project for 2006. Since I have an advance start on it this time I don't see why it won't happen. I still have the photos everyone sent me over the winter - thanks again. As I said before, some can't be used due to size/resolution problems. I could move ahead with what I have now, but I'd be repeating a few planes (different pics/same plane). Consequently, I'd like to get a few more usable submissions if possible. So, if you wanted to submit something and didn't, now's your chance.

Also, I have a few requests:

1. Petit Jean pics - Dave/Bruce do you or anyone else have a couple good pics of the Petit Jean flyin?
2. 2005 Convention - Anyone have a couple good pics here?
3. N401F - I'm sorry I have forgotten who sent these, but I received some great pics of N401F on floats, but they were not usable due to size/resolution. I'd really like to include one or two of these. Please contact me via email/pm and let's see if we can work something out.
4. Kill Devil Hills - NC Convention. Same as #3. I'm sorry but I don't remember who sent it. I received a great shot of 170s at the Kill Devil Hills monument, but couldn't use it due to size/resolution issues. If someone has a pic from this flyout, I'd appreciate it.

As before, the pics need to be a resolution of 300dpi or better when sized to 11 x 8 1/2. 300 dpi @ 2 x 3 won't work because resolution is reduced as the picture is enlarged. If this is all Greek to you, no problem - just contact me and we will work it out. If all you have is a regular photograph, I'd be happy to scan it if you are willing to mail it to me - it will, of course, be promptly returned.

Any and all submissions will be greatly appreciated. I'm aiming to have this ready before the holiday season starts.
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Doug
I have a lot of photos from Petit Jean but most are not high res because the intent was to use them on the web. I've posted most of them temperarily at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bfenster/photolinks.htm

I should have I res photos that I personally took posted at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bfenster/ ... _2005.html

I kind of like this photo but it's not at whole 170 shot but it is a rare 170 part http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bfenster/ ... age12.html

John Renwick took these photos and I'll bet if you like one he'd come up with the high res.
http://members.iphouse.com/jkr/PetitJea ... eather.JPG
http://members.iphouse.com/jkr/PetitJea ... turday.JPG
http://members.iphouse.com/jkr/PetitJea ... sswind.JPG
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Thanks Bruce!

One down, three to go...
Doug
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Doug,

If you could get a high res shot of the picture AR Dave uses as his avatar, I think it or a similar aerial photo of a large group of 170's might make a great cover photo. If you can't get Dave's photo you might contact Cleo to see if he has an aerial of a recent convention.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne