Cracked lifter bodies on my C-145

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jrenwick

Re: Cracked lifter bodies on my C-145

Post by jrenwick »

Shhhhh....
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

One would have to do a helluva lot of polishing to go through the alcad layer.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:One would have to do a helluva lot of polishing to go through the alcad layer.
The layer of "alcladding" on a 28-gauge sheet is only .00325 thick. That's about as thick as cellophane wrapper on a pack of cigarettes.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gahorn wrote:
blueldr wrote:One would have to do a helluva lot of polishing to go through the alcad layer.
The layer of "alcladding" on a 28-gauge sheet is only .00325 thick. That's about as thick as cellophane wrapper on a pack of cigarettes.
Another good reason not to polish an airplane!!!!
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AlCoa Aluminum is who developed AlClad (their TradeName for the product). They produced a nice paper on the subject for N.A.C.A. (forerunner of NASA) on the product. In that paper, they basically stated that the process incorporated a layer, or "cladding" of pure aluminum onto a sub-layer of alloyed aluminum sheet (which alloyed with copper and manganese) was capable of withstanding long periods of exposure to salt-water and acids and resisted intergranular corrosion. The penetration of the cladding by scratches and the cut edges of sheet were largely unaffected by the disturbance of the alclad layer, although extended periods of corrosives (salt mist, etc.) eventually had minor affect on those areas.

Generally, polishing does not diminish the Alclad effect as long as large areas are not completely removed, is what I took away from the reading. (I have a copy in my other computer and will attempt to retrieve it and post it in the MX Library.)

I once stated that I've never polished my airplane.....it was given that treatment by it's former owner/restorer....and that I planned to remain true to my "originality" quest by allowing it to age as Cessna intended. (Cessna never "polished" the airplane....it was merely plain aluminum with painted trim.)

But if Steve and Rusty and Nils continue to "raise the bar" for attention around here....and if Frank and Richard and Ol'Gar show up at my place with a thirst which needs quenching.... well....WHAT'S A FELLER TO DO? :twisted:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Aryana wrote:Here's the NACA document: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi. ... 081004.pdf

For some reason, viewing the link on my desktop has portions of the report censored, but my phone shows the full text. I downloaded it and attached it here just in case someone else has that issue.
The Russians don't have cell phones :?: :lol:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Ruskies were supplied huge quantities of alclad aluminum by us throughout WW-II. They built thousands of airplanes with it...and killed hundreds of thousands of Germans and their equipment with 'em. (And they aren't our biggest enemy anymore.) Hardly any reason for nat'l security on that point. :wink:
twlareau

Post by twlareau »

Ready for the first flight!
Attachments
photo(1).JPG
twlareau

Post by twlareau »

This is the link to the first start after four months down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnaPCk2GYbY&sns=em

This is the link to the first flight after overhaul.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-kkNsHoVXE&sns=em

A big thanks to all the club members for all the support and help along the way! Bruce, thanks so much for spending time with me on the phone. George, I love my polished prop! Thanks for the inspiration.

I can't believe this started with a pushrod tube conversion and turned into a major overhaul. It was a ton of work but it was a life experience that I wouldn't trade for the world!!

The End.