Tailwheel towbar diagram

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Tailwheel towbar diagram

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Anyone got a diagram showing what it takes to build a tailwheel towbar, or a taildragger dragger? I'm thinking it can't be all that tough. But I haven't found anyone local who has one that I can copy.

Kyle Wolfe
N1932C
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Kyle,Aircraft Spruce sells a towbar for the Scott 3200 tailwheel that costs $38.50. I've seen a few home-made towbars & believe me,you'd be money & time ahead to just buy one from Spruce. That's what I did.
Or,you can use a piece of rope about 4 feet long for a leash,to pull your 170 around. A couple friends of mine prefer that to a towbar. Of course,it only works for pulling,not pushing........

Eric
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I've used the type from Spruce for the past 5+ years and was satisfied with it. Although, it is still not great for pushing if there is an incline, or curve. I've pulled the plane out of the hangar buy the prop because of that. Just this week a fellow at the airport who had sold his taildragger gave me a much better tow bar. It slides underneath the tailwheel and lifts the tailwheel off of the ground. The tow bar has two wheels and two upright handles that allow you to push or pull with total control of the airplane while the tailwheel is lifted off of the ground, I really like it. The type from Spruce has an advantage in that it collapses so you can take it in the airplane if desired, this one that lifts the tailwheel does not collaspe and is much bigger.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Then there's always the BAS tailpull handles. More expensive than a towbar, but always with you - can't leave home without 'em. :)
Doug
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

doug8082a wrote:Then there's always the BAS tailpull handles. More expensive than a towbar, but always with you - can't leave home without 'em. :)
Yep, that has to be about the best low cost mod a person can do. Going to get that one of these days soon hopefully. :lol: Might even be able to incorporate speed brakes into the design of the pop out handles! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Speed brakes - now there's an idea! I hear it can be tough to slow those "A" models down sometimes :lol:
Doug
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

:lol: Yes, it takes a lot of airplanning! Usually start reducing the throttle about 5 miles out, if I am in level flight! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Yeah, us "B" model guys have to watch it. Reduce too much too soon and we just drop right out of the sky. I usually wait until right over the threshold before reducing the power. That way I don't slow down anyone else in the pattern :lol:
Doug
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

With the unstable straight wings of the "A" model, by reducing power during the turn to base, we get two turns for one, thus reducing wear and tear on the steering wheel. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Jeff Matthews

Post by Jeff Matthews »

What's it like crawling around in the aft fuselage with the BAS handles installed? I can just barely fit back there to work around the bellcrank etc. as it is. Mine's an A model, so it hasn't even got inspection holes to peek in at the bracket. I'd install the handles in a heartbeat (or as long as it takes) if I didn't suspect that I'd have to hire an anorexic contortionist next annual.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I'll be having my A&P do that work. Maybe someone else here has some personal experience to share? FWIW, the BAS website says it take about 1.5 hours to install.
Doug
billmccown

Tailwheel towbar

Post by billmccown »

I also have a C-140 and belong to their association. They have a
maintenance advisor that has a diagram, parts list and pictures of a simple
tailwheel towbar that raises the wheel off the ground. It looks so simple
to build that I might even be able to do it. If you would send me your
mailing address I will send you a copy.
billmccown@usa.net
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

doug8082a wrote:Yeah, us "B" model guys have to watch it. Reduce too much too soon and we just drop right out of the sky. I usually wait until right over the threshold before reducing the power. That way I don't slow down anyone else in the pattern :lol:
Yeah. The huge flaps on the B model are really good at slowing down, and flying so slow that A models fall. For really short field landings, I've resorted to a drag-chute. I'll probably have to use it to get slowed down to get a group photo with Joe's flat-wing. :lol:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:
doug8082a wrote:Yeah, us "B" model guys have to watch it. Reduce too much too soon and we just drop right out of the sky. I usually wait until right over the threshold before reducing the power. That way I don't slow down anyone else in the pattern :lol:
Yeah. The huge flaps on the B model are really good at slowing down, and flying so slow that A models fall. For really short field landings, I've resorted to a drag-chute. I'll probably have to use it to get slowed down to get a group photo with Joe's flat-wing. :lol:
Aahhh, we might be on to something! George, during climb, try flying without your drag chute being deployed! :idea: A good photographer could catch the classic straight wing look as I am passing by you in your bent wings. :lol: Looking forward to a group photo shoot.

You guys have safe flying and good weather going and coming from the convention, hope to make it next year.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX