original headliner

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bubba144

original headliner

Post by bubba144 »

I'm replacing my 170B headliner. Was the original wool or vinyl?
blueldr

Re: original headliner

Post by blueldr »

A reliable source of "original information" on C-170 stuff has been lost since the passing of Orville, Wilbur, and Clyde.
You will have to ask George now.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

It was wool, Airtex has several different colors and it comes out very nice.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Spruce has them as well
3958v

Post by 3958v »

If you are looking for a different color of wool than the ones offered by Airtex you could purchase your own wool from Leboney Baron and see if airtex will make it from the wool you supply. Leboney Baron supplies wool for classic car interiors and has a larger selection of colors than Airtex. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:A reliable source of "original information" on C-170 stuff has been lost since the passing of Orville, Wilbur, and Clyde.
You will have to ask George now.

Anyone who eats S-O-S for breakfast every day should have been able to answer better than that. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
Please be advised that post my military service I was convinced to change the name of my favorite breakfast item from SOS to OSB (Old Soldiers Breakfast) by my two darling daughters. As fond as they are of the subject breakfast item, mention of the full name instead of the simple initials seemed to turm them off. I have no idea where they acquired their squeamishness, perhaps from thier much missed late mother.
BL
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

During KP in the officers mess I was asked by a Captain what was being served for breakfast.
My response was “SOS sir” which got a response of “I will have some of the creamed beef on toast”.
Turned out he was the Chaplin!
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

I flew out of Daharan during the first Gulf War. During Desert Shield we ate well on the flight line with catered food contracted out and served by TCNs (third country nationals). The food was not too bad. Once Desert Storm kicked off, for security reasons, the TCNs were not allowed on the flight line and meals consisted of GI fare served by regular sodiers and airmen. It was all pre-packaged and heated to some extent before it was served. One day at breakfast they were serving a not so appetizing version of the afformentined SOS. As the guy ahead of me in line watched a ladel of luke warm, lumpy grey gravy get dropped on his tray, looked at the server and said "Alright, bring my wife out here right now. I know you have her back there in the kitchen!"
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

4-Shipp wrote:...As the guy ahead of me in line watched a ladel of luke warm, lumpy grey gravy get dropped on his tray, looked at the server and said "Alright, bring my wife out here right now. I know you have her back there in the kitchen!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

When my daugher, Nancy, was flying a Logair trip for Southern Air Transport on the Herks, they were eating breakfast one morning in the PX cafeteria at Warner-Robbins AFB in Georgia. She had ordered the SOS. She says she took one bite and announced to the Captain and the Flight Engineer, "You guys have to help me! They have my Dad captive, cooking in the kitchen back there!"
BL
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

I'm doing the headliner in my 48 and the rods are missing (past owner threw them away :x ). The Airtex guy tells me they are different than the later model liner rods but he said the 48 thru 51 used the same. Is anyone installing a new liner (48 - 51) and could do a tracing of each rod, (5 total) I believe. PM me if so and I will give you a call. Thanks Dave