Fuel caps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N73087

Fuel caps

Post by N73087 »

I have had my 170a for a month now, so I don't know everything yet.
What is the purpose of the well around the fuel filler caps? It seems to invite water into the tank and/or rust/corrosion around the neck and cap. wouldn't a raised neck and cap over a flush wing skin be better? Can the neck assembly be replaced from time to time?
Dave
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Congratulations on your purchase! Several members (myself included) have purchased Fuel Risers from Monarch Air (http://www.monarch-air.com). These cover the "moat" around the fuel neck and do a nice job of keeping the water out.
Use the search utility on this site and look for "monarch" and you'll find several threads discussing it or look through the "Hanger" section for a thread entitled "Fuel filler neck" - this should cover your question.
Doug
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Sometimes it pays to be an "impulse buyer". I put off the purchase of the neat Monarch fuel caps and moat cover kits...and now they are out of business :evil: Now I am stuck with leaking fuel caps and filler necks :cry: I was going to reseal the necks and install new adapter gaskets along with the Monarch caps and moat covers at annual this spring. So much for those plans. With no option of Monarch caps * does anyone know of the proper part number and source for the red Cessna caps? I see one for sale* at $35, but don't know if this is the cap I will need to replace my non-certified leaking caps from Spuce. Does anyone have any info on Monarch-Air? Such a good company offering great products just going out of business so quickly...kind of scary 8O
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV