Price for 50X50 metal hangar building

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

BlakeinAlabama

Price for 50X50 metal hangar building

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

I have the opportunity to buy a 50x50 metal building to use as a hangar. It is on a trailer and has never been erected. It currently has 2 14 foot wide roll up doors, so I would have to put hangar doors on it. Has anyone built or priced a new or used one recently?
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
W.J.Langholz

Re: Price for 50X50 metal hangar building

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Without knowing the building package ie Butler, Chief, etc etc. I'd say top end NEW just for materials 15k.
I put up a wood structure last year 60x64 with a roller door for $10.00 a sq ft no concrete floor. Hope that helps.

Make sure you get the engineered "stamped drawings with it.......will help with your insurance company.

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
jwpalmer

Post by jwpalmer »

Coastal wanted to sell me a 48x40 for 19,700 delivered to VA. I passed.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I built my 50 X 50 X 16 (eaves) pitched-roof hangar out of R-panel and flange-beams (I-beams). The materials cost, delivered was $14K. The slab, poured by others, was another $10K. (It was on a slope that req'd a 38" wall at the aft end, but counting for inflation, that is still a good price. Warning: educate yourself about concrete when ordering the stuff for slabs. You don't want what they make sidewalks or homes/garages out of....you want 6-sack concrete if you want a good one.) :wink:

Also, if you're buying a pre-engineered BOLT-UP buldg...be certain to get the bolt patterns and hardware into the hands of your slab/concrete folks before pouring-day! (Mine used weld-plates as I bought the materials and cut/welded up the building myself.)

I built my own door which I wrote about in these Forums. Bruce Shipp aks "4Shipp" came down and looked at it and did one for himself as well. I like it and I'll bet he still likes his too. Both articles are here with pics.

Blake, keep in mind you can order such a custom engineered bldg and have it delivered in 30-45 days for about 14K, so don't be hasty buying what someone else is giving up on, unless you get it cheap!

Here's a link to my project done back in 2000: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... angar+door

Here's Bruce Shipp's adaptation to his hangar: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... oor#p45535
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)