new member fronm Italy

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

skyprop

new member fronm Italy

Post by skyprop »

Hallo I'm Stefano from Italy and I would like to introduce me as a new member. I've a Cessna 170B year 1957. thank you and I hope to see you one day in U.S.A.
Attachments
foto1.jpg
bagarre

Re: new member fronm Italy

Post by bagarre »

Welcome!

Nice looking plane!

Where in Italy are you? My wife it from Naples (Bagnoli)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Boy! A '57 Model. That's the newest one I ever heard of.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

blueldr wrote:Boy! A '57 Model. That's the newest one I ever heard of.
It is serial 27167 the 3rd to the last 170 ever made if our records are correct.
==

Stefano, welcome to the Association. Sure would like to see more pictures of your 170.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Welcome Stephano, I see your plane is registered in Germany, are you located in the Italian alps? I'm sure many members would be interested in your flying adventures and in the history of your plane.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
skyprop

Post by skyprop »

It is serial 27167 the 3rd to the last 170 ever made build in 1956 and sold in 1957. A very "young" 170 :D I bought it two weeks ago in Bayern south of Munich in Germany this is why the registration is D-.I know that she is in Europe from 2005 imported from the previous owner from Argentina where she flow for a decade with several LV-registration. Unfortunately I dont have the oldest history of the airplane. only 3 book are in my hand:1982-1984 and from 2005. About me I live in Verona (William Shakespeare Romeo & Juliet city) close to the central-east Alps and you will be welcome for any flight above Alps and citys like Venice.
Attachments
foto 1.JPG
skyprop

Re: new member from Italy

Post by skyprop »

another view
Attachments
foto 2.JPG
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Welcome Stefano, it so great that this organization is broadening its influence and attracting foreign interest. We are all very interested in how flying differs between the US and places like Italy.

I notice in your pictures that you have a Maule Tail-wheel and compression springs, have not seen that very often here, you might want to do a search about compression springs and the potential for them to do damage to your airplane.
Regards,
Johneb
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
blueldr wrote:Boy! A '57 Model. That's the newest one I ever heard of.
It is serial 27167 the 3rd to the last 170 ever made if our records are correct.
==

Stefano, welcome to the Association. Sure would like to see more pictures of your 170.
I knew someone would jump on that.....Welcome Stefano
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Stefano,
I just also noticed that your fuel system vent seems to be located in top of the end of the left wing tank (instead of the center of the top of the fuselage). Do you know if that is original or something that was done to accommodate adding the ADF wire antennae to the roof of your airplane?
Johneb
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
T. Gandy

Post by T. Gandy »

Stefano, welcome to the group. You have a pretty airplane.
Terry Gandy
Don't stop flying the plane until it's tied down or the paramedics arrive
Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb wrote:I notice in your pictures that you have a Maule Tail-wheel and compression springs, have not seen that very often here, you might want to do a search about compression springs and the potential for them to do damage to your airplane.
Regards,
Johneb
I'll cut right to the chase. Get rid of the compression springs ASAP specially with the late control cables your '57 has. See http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... ing#p78738 for the correct spring.

As for the Maule wheel it is an oddity here in the states as many have had a terrible time with shimmy with the Maule wheel for many reasons. The 170 is almost exclusively seen with the Scott 3200 installed. The Scott 3200 is not a cure all for shimmy but it at least has a dampener designed into it.

170C

Post by 170C »

The fuel tank vent on the upper side of the wing is where the early 172's are located. Is it possible Cessna changed that on the last 170's that were built along side the 172's
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
skyprop

Post by skyprop »

I have to check my spring. I'll let you know.so in your opinion is better a Scott 3200? About the vent tube on the left I dont know why and also the previous owner didnt know the reason. I think that is possible a late modification as an experimental for the next 172 series. Thank's to everybody your suggestions are very appreciated!! :D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Stepano the springs gong on the control cables going to the tail wheel are wrong. When they bottom out load has to go somewhere and that is the bulkheads inside the fuselage. There have been a few '55 and later with cracked bulkheads in the back where the pulleys are mounted.

If you are not having any trouble with the Maule, it is as good as the Scott. Problem is many people have more trouble with the Maule shimmying than they do with the Scott. In fact those incorrect control springs you have are Maule's answer to correct for shimmy.