Upgrade to 50A Alternator

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

faustrj

Upgrade to 50A Alternator

Post by faustrj »

I'm pursuing the Jasco 50A alternator upgrade. The ammeter presently installed in N2449D, a 1952-B, is +/-30A in a 1-7/8" hole. I've been trying to find an ammeter rated for 50A that will fit this smaller hole. I've tried a number of different instrument shops and online suppliers and haven't been able to find one. I'll consider any style at this point: unshunted or shunted (internal or external), zero-centered or not, ammeter/voltmeter combination, even digital.

I'm not sure the original hole size can be increased to accommodate a 2" or 2-1/4" instrument since it's so close to the ball fitting for the pilot's control yoke.

Any suggestions?

Rich
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The so-called 2-1/16" and 2-1/4" ammeters handled by Scott, WagAero, Univair, and others are actually the outside circumference of the dial-face,...not the size of their mounting hole. WagAero's Cat No. A-034-000 for $85.50 is a 60-0-60 amp unit, including the shunt and leads. It should work just fine for you.
Watkinsnv

AMP GAUGE

Post by Watkinsnv »

I first installed a used Cessna 60 amp gauge that fits the hole size. But then when I put in a Mitchel internally lite one that came with my Del-Air kit I had to open the back mounting hole, no big deal. Lance
jon s blocker

amp meter

Post by jon s blocker »

I have the original amp meter from my '53 that reads +- 60 amps. If you still need one, mine is available, just send me a PM and I'll get your address. Jon