Question about Tail wheel assembly

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pilotjkl

Question about Tail wheel assembly

Post by pilotjkl »

I'm doing an annual inspection on my 170A, I disassembled the tail wheel bracket to replaced the U bolt and the channel 0510000-31 and after reassembly the steering chains are to long, what did I do wrong?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
GAHorn

Re: Question about Tail wheel assembly

Post by GAHorn »

Look at your leafspring stack. You've allowed it to shift forward and is no longer properly held by the bolt at the forward end of the leafsprings.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Is this a test?

Notice how bolt 2 goes through top plate 8 inside bushing 5 then through the mount in part 1. It sets and holds the springs relative to the mount. You couldn't have this bolt installed correctly. And while your at it you also don't have the six bolts (19) and nuts installed holding the top plate on. But I'll assume this picture is take of a ruff fit assembly.
tail wheel mount assem..JPG
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

The picture where the chains are slack may very well be the correct spring location.
The picture where the chains are tight looks like the spring is way too far back.
(I think it is a test, too.)
DSCN0970_cropped_2.jpg
Ragwing S/N 18073
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

You have it installed correctly now. Lucky you found the problem before you damaged a plane
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Also, make sure you install part number 16 in Bruce's diagram. I think it's called a chain guard. Search the forum for "Bent Steering Arm" to see why it's an important item.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

sfarringer wrote:The picture where the chains are slack may very well be the correct spring location.
The picture where the chains are tight looks like the spring is way too far back.
(I think it is a test, too.)
DSCN0970_cropped_2.jpg
You are correct. I assumed the picture with the chains taunt was that of proper parts properly assembled. If it was not, that might explain why when proper parts are assembled properly, the chains adjusted for the former improper install would be to long.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

When I took my 170 to Del Lehman for restoration, he found my tailwheel with the same condition. The leaf springs were just butting up against the retainer bolt and the only thing holding the whole assembly in place was the tailwheel coil springs and chains. We had flown the plane from Alaska to Texas and around Texas for several months. Talk about lucky!
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Where is the source document for Bruce picture.?

I have a Cessna Service Manual 100 Series 1962 and prior . Not real helpful for C170.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Romeo Tango

Post by Romeo Tango »

George/Bruce - do I recall correctly there was more information in a forum here about the bracket kit SK70A52-4? And/or a discount for club members? Annual this year found me need to make the replacement.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

MoonlightVFR wrote:Where is the source document for Bruce picture.?
The 170B parts catalog
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Romeo Tango wrote:George/Bruce - do I recall correctly there was more information in a forum here about the bracket kit SK70A52-4? And/or a discount for club members? Annual this year found me need to make the replacement.
That is correct. The Assoc'n has all the necessary documentation and a nice discount for the entire kit for it's Members. Join up!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
pilotjkl

Post by pilotjkl »

wingnut wrote:You have it installed correctly now. Lucky you found the problem before you damaged a plane
Thanks everyone for all the help! This makes the most sense that it was not installed right previously, just glad it's right now
So much good help in this group, thanks again