Extremely rough engine that cleared up on its own?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

TCP

Post by 170C »

Maybe with all the chatter about TCP we should buy stock in the mfg. Throw in some stock for MMO also!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I just picked up another fresh gallon directly from the mfr, Alcor, in San Antonio. Saved shipping and hazardous mat'l fees. $11/qt or $44/gal.
I really don't like their method of dispensing the stuff. (They sell you a large syringe that's calibrated for the product. Their can has a special inside cap permanently in place, that the syringe fits against so it can "suck" up the proper amount.)
The proper amount (for 100LL) is 1 oz. per 10 gals. of fuel.
I popped the plastic inner cap out and threw it away. I have an empty "Stabil" (gasoline stabilizer) bottle that has a main chamber and an auxilliary chamber. The aux chamber is graduated (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 oz.), and it is filled by merely squeezing the main chamber which spurts the product over into the aux chamber. The aux chamber is then easily emptied into the fuel tank. (The main chamber will not further dispense with the bottle upside down.) It's a really easy way to dispense the stuff.
(5 gals gas = .5 oz TCP. etc). The stuff does not need to be dispensed during the fill like other products (Prist, BioBor, etc.). It can be dumped in after the fuel purchase.
The TCP can has an obligatory warning not to carry it in the pax compartment. I carry the plastic bottle, itself inside a strong zip-lok bag, packed upright in my bag compartment. By squeezing the excess air out of the bottle before storage, it doesn't stress the bottle at altitude. Even if it leaked, it's inside the heavy duty plastic bag. It's never leaked.
Handle the stuff carefully, tho'. It's mostly Toluene, with TCP mixed in...both are hazardous to your health. (Unlike MMO, You can't use it for salsa, Eric.) :wink:

Warning: It's been brought to my attention that some readers have mis-taken my comments to include Prist/Biobor as additives for our airplanes. NO. They are jet fuel additives which must be added into the stream of fuel as it goes into the wing or must be pre-mixed.
Last edited by GAHorn on Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william halford

Post by william halford »

George the Stabile bottle is the only way to go..170mb
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Great idea on the Stabil bottle!

So for the ragwing guys TCP could be an expensive dope thinner in a pinch. Or it could really mess up a good dope job.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180