Just bought a mothballed 1952 170b

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sanships

Just bought a mothballed 1952 170b

Post by sanships »

Hello guys, I have been reading most of the forum and have been very pleased with the information that you have been able to gather. I am a 150 hr pilot that was looking for a fun plane to hop around the islands. I found a low time, hangared 170b in a small private airstrip in central Philippines that was bought new by current owner and have flown only about 949 tach hours since then. Original owner is still alive at 84 and was forced to sell the plane by his sons who don't fly. Aircraft is in fairly good condition and was flying till 1999. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here, I would really appreciate your comments.

1) Since it is the original engine that came with the plane, should I consider overhauling it now or wait till it reaches TBO? It's been more than 51 years, I am somewhat apprehensive of the reliability of the engine. And if so, who in the US would be the best place to send it to and how much for the full overhaul? Can I still find all the parts/accessories for this engine?
Local mechanic that used to maintain her says she runs fine and can be made airworthy in just 30 days. Still I'm not comfortable flying behind such an old engine!
2) What airframe mods are a "must have" to increase safety margins in landings? :D
3) Where can I send the instruments of this vintage to be overhauled in the US?
4) Has anyone installed flint tip tanks to extend range?
5) How much for a full interior redo with matching period designs?
6) Where can I find original pictures of the interior and panels for restoration?
7) I would like to keep everything as original as possible, Does being original help in future resale value?
8) Considering that it his claimed to never been in an accident, should I just go ahead and have all the paint stripped and check for corrosion and possible hidden repairs? Are there structural gotcha's for planes untouched this long in such a humid environment? I just want this plane to be as safe as possible. :wink:

Thanks again for your comments! I have just faxed in my membership application and payment. I'm looking forward to learning more of this very interesting plane. Can't wait till I can fly her!

Alvin :wink:
GAHorn

Re: Just bought a mothballed 1952 170b

Post by GAHorn »

sanships wrote:Hello guys, I have been reading most of the forum and have been very pleased with the information that you have been able to gather. I am a 150 hr pilot that was looking for a fun plane to hop around the islands. I found a low time, hangared 170b in a small private airstrip in central Philippines that was bought new by current owner and have flown only about 949 tach hours since then. Original owner is still alive at 84 and was forced to sell the plane by his sons who don't fly. Aircraft is in fairly good condition and was flying till 1999. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here, I would really appreciate your comments.

1) Since it is the original engine that came with the plane, should I consider overhauling it now or wait till it reaches TBO? It's been more than 51 years, I am somewhat apprehensive of the reliability of the engine. And if so, who in the US would be the best place to send it to and how much for the full overhaul? Can I still find all the parts/accessories for this engine?
Local mechanic that used to maintain her says she runs fine and can be made airworthy in just 30 days. Still I'm not comfortable flying behind such an old engine!
2) What airframe mods are a "must have" to increase safety margins in landings? :D
3) Where can I send the instruments of this vintage to be overhauled in the US?
4) Has anyone installed flint tip tanks to extend range?
5) How much for a full interior redo with matching period designs?
6) Where can I find original pictures of the interior and panels for restoration?
7) I would like to keep everything as original as possible, Does being original help in future resale value?
8) Considering that it his claimed to never been in an accident, should I just go ahead and have all the paint stripped and check for corrosion and possible hidden repairs? Are there structural gotcha's for planes untouched this long in such a humid environment? I just want this plane to be as safe as possible. :wink:

Thanks again for your comments! I have just faxed in my membership application and payment. I'm looking forward to learning more of this very interesting plane. Can't wait till I can fly her!

Alvin :wink:
Congratulations, Alvin, on finding such a rare gem! What Year, and Serial number is your airplane?? Do you also have all the original logbooks and paperwork? (Microfiche Copies may be obtained from Cessna and the FAA.)
1. The engine question is a judgement call. If your mechanic has your confidence, I'd rely on his recommendation. If you're determined to overhaul the engine in the U.S. I'd recommend Western Skyways, Montrose, Colorado for the overhaul.
Parts and accessories for this original engine are plentiful and easy to find, especially since your engine is unlikely to ever require a different crankshaft. (Make certain your crankshaft remains with your engine if at all possible.)
2. There are no airframe mods that are "must have." This airplane enjoys one of the best safety records of all time, just as it left the factory. I personally recommend the "Pponk" gear-box modification because it lessens the likelyhood that a minor mismanagement of a landing will lead to major damage. (Some mechanics feel that the Pponk mod will lead to even greater damage however, should the aircraft suffer a major landing accident. It's my own belief that the airplane will suffer that additional damage anyway simply due to the greater forces necessary to damage the Pponk-reinforced gear. The Pponk WILL however prevent the most common landing incidents from becoming a repair-shop visit at all. My airplane has it, and I'm glad.)
3. Aircraft Quality Instruments, 2649 S. Custer, Wichita, Kansas 67217 U.S.A. PH 316-942-9933 or 800-942-9938 or Fax 316-942-9975 does excellent work, priced very reasonably, with a warranty.
4. Flint tanks are practical, as is the Javelin tank (which is approved under the type certificate.)
5. Original interiors are most easily duplicated by finding a local shop and allowing them to perform the interior work using the original as a pattern. High-grade duplications of original interiors can be priced between $1500-$4,000. U.S. stateside.
6. Cessna Aircraft, Wichita Kansas can provide copies of original sales brochures which include pictures. Original color sales brochures are also sometimes found on Internet online auctions.
7. The best re-sale prices of classic/antique aircraft are those that appear original in every detail.
8. These airplanes are like any other. The big concern is hidden damage and corrosion. Rear bulkhead and gearbox cracks, as well as corrosion in the wing carry-through spar and attaching hardware and internal blocks are always worth inspecting on older aircraft. Stripping your airplane would normally only be done if/when you intended to re-paint or polish the aircraft. (All original 170's left the factory as plain aluminum with the only paint being accent stripes in either green, blue, or red.) Most interiors were either a tan, brown, green, blue, teal, black, or maroon (wine). The exact colors of YOUR aircraft can be determined by examining the data-plate and the finish/trim plate (if any) or contacting Cessna.
There are no "gotcha's" in the 170, as it is a straight-forward airplane with excellent serviceability and handling characteristics. It's basic design is still being produced as the model 172 Skyhawk.