Wing root modification

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pdb

Wing root modification

Post by pdb »

I met a gentlemen last week who indicated that he had worked with Charlie White in developing VG's (vortex generators) for the 170 . While we were talking, he indicated that the leading edge cabin air inlets near the wing root caused considerable disturbance of the airflow and that covering them (did I mention duct tape?) resulted in a substantial improvement in performance.

I haven't tried this yet but I am curious if anyone else has of if anyone else has opinions on the subject.

Pete
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
spiro

Post by spiro »

Cessna recognized this and moved the air inlets further out from the root on later wings. Mine are taped over for 8 mos. out of the year anyway to eliminate those pesky leaks. I use clear packing tape, not as visible as duct...
jon s blocker

wing root inlet

Post by jon s blocker »

Your friendly sign maker will have the plastic vinyl material they use for designs, lettering, etc., that will cover the hole and stick very well, and can be had in almost any color to match your paint scheme. You can barely tell it is there.
Jon
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

What was the specific improvement in performance? Better stall characteristics and if so how much? Better cruise speed? Can we quantify this?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

I have installed numerous VG kits and worked closely with Boundary Layer Research while living in Alaska. The vent disturbs the airflow over the tail. The installation of the large Delts to the wingroot boost the airflow over the tail making it more docile but I don't think there is much improvement to actual performance numbers. On the 140 kit they actual recognize the fuselage cab top as an area needing attention and install VG's all the way accross the Fuselage. I don't know what they were looking for but I like the idea.

Kelly