oil pan problem

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Maineboy

oil pan problem

Post by Maineboy »

We have an oil pan(C-145) that has corroded through in front of the carburetor. We can't seem to locate a new one. Anyone have a source. Or can anyone tell me if they can be repaired. Thank you.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I went through this about 4 years ago.

Regarding repairs - I'm told that you can weld magnesium, but that it's tricky and requires an inert gas environment to keep the pan from burning. I've also been told that the welds have a tendency to crack down the road and, in the long run, it's not worth it.

When I had my problem, a new sump was over $2K. After calling NUMEROUS (at least 25) salvage yards, I located one with minimal corrosion (just a small dimple) that had been cleaned out and was servicable. The charge was $600 and the whole process took about three weeks to locate and install.

If new ones are no longer available and/or are out of your price range, then I'd start calling salvage yards. Pick up a copy of Trade-A-Plane and start with the big ones. One thing I quickly discovered is, when "Salvage Yard A" says they don't have one, ask if they know who might. Most of these guys were quite willing to recommend other yards and give me phone numbers. That's how I wound up with phone #s for over 25 of these guys.

When evaluating the sump, consider the following:
1. Existing corrosion - they'll almost always have some. Check to see how bad it is and if it's usuable.
2. Previous repairs - some sumps have been repaired previously using things like JB Weld to fill in the cavity caused by the corrosion. That makes it difficult to see just how bad the corrosion is/was and if it has gotten any worse. Also, that stuff could wind up travelling around in your oil if any of it chipped off.
3. Carburator Mounting Studs - Check to make sure these are all straight and in good condition. Two of the studs used to mount the carburator on one of the sumps we evaluated during my hunt were bent. Must have come off a plane that had it's nose meet the pavement. Can't imagine how else they got bent.
4. When you find one that sounds good, really grill the guy on its condition (or have your mechanic do it). These guys can be as bad as used car salesmen sometimes. We had two come to the shop that were junk and had to be sent back. Ask them to email digital photos of the sump so you can get an initial look at it. A good yard will do this without thinking twice about it. (Specialty Aircraft in Redmond, OR has done it for me several times for interior parts).

Hope all this helps a bit. Good luck in the hunt.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Randy Selchert, at Ajax Aviation, 319 Wolf Rd., San Antonio, TX 78216 800-531-7212 is a certified crancase/sump welding shop. Good reports about them. They weld a "scab" patch on after cutting the faulty part away and cleaning the area to accept a proper weld.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I know this doesn't help you but one of these sumps just sold on ebay for $28

Just to make you feel better I just checked the description again and it also had a hole which needed fixing.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
skylking

Oil Pan Problems

Post by skylking »

I may have a serviceable sump. Contact me via e-mail if you cannot find one.