Wheel Pant Hardware/Parts Sources

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jmurtap

Wheel Pant Hardware/Parts Sources

Post by jmurtap »

Hello,
I tried searching the 22 pages of previous forums on this topic. I didn't see exactly what I was looking for. If I overlooked a thread I apologize. Novice question here, I was unable to find the bolts that would attach the pants onto the backing plate and the axle. The Cessna manual isn't very descriptive. As for my question, how do I go about getting the hardware? Can I simply go to the hardware store or do I need to order the specific hardware? The book calls for five PK76XZ-10-6 screws and one AN6-5A bolt, and one AN936B616 washer, per side. I was able to locate the bolt on aircraft spruce, but nothing else and bolt has a "A" designation that aircraft spruce didn't specify. I'm not sure what the "A" stands for or if it matters. I'm fairly unfamiliar with part houses for aircraft and direction would be very much appreciated. Also whats the consensuses or best practice to air the tire up, with the pants on?

Thanks in Advance!!
-Jason
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

bagarre

Re: Wheel Pant Hardware/Parts Sources

Post by bagarre »

Any AN6-5 will he fine.
For the rest, mine are AN3 and pretty sure -6
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The "A" merely indicates that the bolt is not drilled for a cotter pin. (Think of it as indicating the hole is "A"bsent.) :wink:

The PK76XZ-10-6 is a sheet metal screw, No 10 in diameter (about 3/16") and 3/4" long. It may be what Cessna used back in the 1950's for this purpose and is why that is what is listed.

But if you have wheelpants mfr'd in the 1990's they probably have nutplates for machine screws, and you will attach the pants to the backing plate using #10 machine screws.
AN 526 Machine screws
AN 526 Machine screws
an526.jpg (3.65 KiB) Viewed 9035 times
(These are used when nut-plates are installed on your backing/mounting plate. It's also possible to use short AN3 bolts...but they aren't as pretty.

If you have tinnerman plates for sheet metal screws you'd use PK screws (this is what a PK76XZ-10-6 looks like)
PK screw
PK screw
screw.jpg (3.65 KiB) Viewed 9035 times
which have coarse threads.) These are available from Spruce. I recommend stainless screws but be aware that stainless screws have soft slots and are easy to strip with a poor-fitting screwdriver or if you use an electric driver you can rip the slots out of the heads.

If you were to order from Spruce their PN 04-01100 airplane screw kit for a C-172....it costs less than $35 and contains 410 assort'd screws.... then you would have all the machine screws you'd need for this job plus many many more which you will find convenient for other tasks. (Caution: These screw kits are not "structural" screws and should not be used in place of AN, NAS, or other structural hardware. But they are fine for fairings, covers, wheel pants, cowlings, etc etc.)

You should also order PN 04-00217 and PN 04-00218 by the hundred each (they cost .02 ea), ... they are nylon washers to slip beneath the heads of those screws and will help hold down corrosion. Use them wherever a stainless trim screw is placed, such as for holding down covers and cowlings.

Here's a short primer on aircraft hardware: http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/ra/hardware.html

And...if you REALLY want to peruse and learn about it... here's a free Aircraft Hardware Catalog that you can have:
http://www.askbob.aero/sites/default/fi ... atalog.pdf
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

Awesome, Thanks Guys!!!
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I've only ever seen the nutplate ones. +1 new something learned.

Stainless machine screws would look nicer and probably easier to work with.
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

I was able to get them mounted, mine uses the sheet metal screws. After a couple hours in the pattern the right tire started rubbing on the mud guard. I fitted and refitted for about three hours trying to get more clearance in the one spot. I finally decided it would be better to try again later. I was only able to get about 1/8" in that particular spot.
Attachments
image.jpg
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Pretty!
What brand/model tires?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Very nice!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

See! With fatter tires you wouldn't have that mud guard clearance problem and the time you spend working on and worrying about it could be spent flying.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:See! With fatter tires you wouldn't have that mud guard clearance problem and the time you spend working on and worrying about it could be spent flying.
...and washing, wiping, and scraping dried mud off your airplane.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

gahorn wrote:
blueldr wrote:See! With fatter tires you wouldn't have that mud guard clearance problem and the time you spend working on and worrying about it could be spent flying.
...and washing, wiping, and scraping dried mud off your airplane.
+1

56D doesn't have wheel pants now and is flown off of grass primarily because she's used for tailwheel endorsements by the current owner. Almost every time the airplane flies, I clean off the leading edges, windscreen, oil/grease on the belly, exhaust stains, and MUD underneath the wings and struts.

Bare tires suck.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You know Ryan, I wasn't sure till your last post but know I've confirmed it. Your families name is shows up in the history of owners of my plane. They probably owned it before the one you are so fond of.

So I'll expect you here sometime on Saturday to detail out 7A. After all I flew it a week or so ago and that mud on the wings isn't going to remove itself. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:You know Ryan, I wasn't sure till your last post but know I've confirmed it. Your families name is shows up in the history of owners of my plane. They probably owned it before the one you are so fond of.

So I'll expect you here sometime on Saturday to detail out 7A. After all I flew it a week or so ago and that mud on the wings isn't going to remove itself. :lol:
LOL

I'd be happy to wash the mud off of the old girl, but I'm positive that nobody in my family can lay claim to ownership of N7A. My grandfather did own a GREEN J3 back in 1958...I guess that's close enough, right?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ryan Smith wrote:[... My grandfather did own a GREEN J3 back in 1958...I guess that's close enough, right?

Probably... They both cruise at about the same speed when they're green. :mrgreen:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ryan Smith wrote:I'd be happy to wash the mud off of the old girl, but I'm positive that nobody in my family can lay claim to ownership of N7A. My grandfather did own a GREEN J3 back in 1958...I guess that's close enough, right?
Hey I own a GREEN J-3. You could wash both of them and pretend your grandfather owned them. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com