Winter Flying in 170A

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1264D

Winter Flying in 170A

Post by N1264D »

I have only had my 170A for about 5 months. It is a great smooth flying plane. Right now it is in for the annual. I live in AK and am planning on winter flying. Does anyone know about any STC/337 that would allow me to add a defroster. I had hear the 170B 53' and later had defrosters. If no one knows, any advice for winter flying. I previously had a C150 that had a defroster. Winter is the best time to fly up here and I don't want to miss out. Please help!!!!! :|
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Although I've not heard of any STC/337 adding a defroster, I can't imagine it would be too difficult. Cut an oblong hole in the dash/coaming and route some of your cabin heat to it. (That's a minor alteration, right?) :wink:
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

I'm sure it would be in Alaska, where they routinly strap a moose on the wing struts. Welcome to the wounderful world of C-170 ownership.

Bill
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

First, I don't have defrosters and fly year round in PA with no problem.

Second, considering the one heat valve he probably has over the pilots feet, which heat is probably routed from one heat muff, which bearly will heat the cabin, I dought if it would defrost much if modified as George suggests.

Actually since my one heat valve dumps all the "hot" air up under the instrument panel where it is trapped, I've often thought about removing the pockets of the hand hold holes already in the top of the instrument panel to allow the heat out. Doing this might also help the defrost situation.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mit

Post by mit »

I had a 48 for 10 years and flew it down to 30 below. The trick is to dress warm and open the vents onto the W/S, it won't fog up. Oh, yes did I say to dress warm? Also carry a old Id card or credit card to scrap the W/S when it does get frost on it . I have a 54 now and still do the same thing, the defroster, don't help much! Did I say to dress warm if you have ever been out at 40 below dress that way.
Tim
JDH

Post by JDH »

Yes, dress warm. If you can't pre-heat the insides using an in car warmer or other (propane, etc), make sure you open the windows during start up and pre-flight check and taxi, closing them just as you roll for departure. As soon as airborne, you open up the heat and should stay good and clear. It seems to be during the initial phase that it gets foggy and frosty. Once you park on the lake, keep the windscreen facing the sun. We plug the vent holes with foam and tape. If you kept them open, you could have air "rushing" across the WS and that would keep it clear, but you'd turn blue and brittle... I find it tougher to not fog up when more souls on board even with defrost. JD
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Two products offered by JC Whitney are cigar-lighter-plug heater/defrosters. Either can be Velcro'ed to the dash and plugged in.
Cat. No. 81Z53737W for $27.99 is 6"X4-1/4"X3"high, draws 10 amps, and blows warm air side-to-side, clip mounted.
Cat. No. 49ZS1540X for $15.99 draws 12.5 amps and looks better to me. No actual dimensions given, It looks like slightly larger than a radar-detector, but a call to them should give you the answers. 800-529-4486 or http://www.jcwhitney.com/
(I got this info from their catalog # 670J-01)