Complete exhaust system replacement advise needed!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sanships

Complete exhaust system replacement advise needed!

Post by sanships »

I'm a new member and I just bought a 52' 170b which I am restoring. It was ran up yesterday after 4 years of inactivity. I noticed that the exhaust system has been welded all over the place and will need immediate replacement for safe/ trouble free operation in the future( This is before I read the importance of checking the eshaust system posted). The engine is the original from new with 1400 hours and has never been overhauled. It has only needed some piston ring replacements back in '86.

I've looked at other posts but need the best possible replacement alternatives and prices. Does wag-aero offer the complete set? Do we need to put the shrouds on? I don't need heating. I live in the Philippines and would like to save by getting all needed parts together in one shipment.

Thanks

Alvin Sandoval
Cebu Philippines
52' 170b
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Alvin, I wouldn't expect other members to be capable of quoting what Wag Aero or any other supplier has "in stock". I suggest you contact them directly.
But I'll offer a couple of cautions.
Yes, you need the shrouds. Even in the Phillipines you will have carb ice problems and you'll need that system to work, and even in tropical climes at altitude it will occasionally be nice to have cabin heat...but for no other reason than the fact the shrouds are necessary to insulate other engine compartment equpment from the excess heat the muffs will generate and the fact that your airplane, to be legal, must have the equipment installed. (Unless you've gone to all the trouble/expense to get it approved without the equipment.)
The shrouds are not easy to locate if you don't have them. It's usually easier to repair or manufacture your own because most exhaust mfr's don't deal with the shrouds. I've spent many days several times over when members have called me wanting new shrouds. They are among the rarest of 170 parts.
Also, don't fall for the 172 exhausts. Most of the later (post '60) 172 exhausts are too large to fit under the cowl, and in some cases conflict/interfere with other 170 equipment.
The exhaust companies I've found reasonable success with are:
Knisely Welding, Loomis, Ca. 800/522-6990 or 916/652-5891
PMA Fabricators, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 800/924-3774 or 305/484-3991
Wall Colmonoy, OKC, Ok., 800/433-5074 or 405/672-1361
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Also, I got the following response by email:
Dear George,
At this time we only have exhaust for the 170B. We stock new: the mufflers,
risers, clamps and tailpipes. The mufflers are $382.000ea, the four
straight risers are $49.00ea, the two curved risers are $75.00ea, and the
tailpipes are $49.00ea.
Please contact me at 1 800 528-0390 if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Jim Stone
The Parts Exchange, Inc.
803 548-2665
800 528-0390
803 548-6360 fax
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Several years ago I was quoted $1325 for a complete Hanlon-Wilson conversion "including STC" by Aircraft Exhaust Systems of Jumping Branch West Virginia. They stressed "complete" so I wold assume that the heat muffs,etc are included. Don't know why an STC would be required as the H-W exhaust is approved via type certificate,right?
Anyway,this outfit has since changed their name to Radial Exhaust Systems Inc: 304-466-1752 http://www.radialexhaustsystems.com
Don't know if they still sell the H-W conversion. Might be worth investigating.

Eric
william halford

Post by william halford »

The muffler on our rt side of our 170A is slightly touching our lower cowl. I attached some heat wrap for a temporary fix to the lower cowl as a cushion. Until we come up with a permant fix.

At OSH this year i noticed a lot of 170 with blisters in this area. Is that the permant fix ??????? 170mb
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

"Blisters" are to accomodate the Lycoming conversions. You might want to examine your engine mounts to see if they're sagging. (and your exhaust to determine it's using the correct 170 parts, ...not 172 ones.)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have seen two different ragwings with blisters added to the lower cowl to accomodate Hanlon-Wilson mufflers. I have to assume that they were the larger H-W's as found on the later 172's,NOT the small ones as found on the 170-B. Interestingly enough,both ragwings were owned by the same guy--one after the other.

Eric
william halford

Post by william halford »

I know we have the regular stock 170 mufflers , but never thought about the mounts. Thanks George...170mb
sanships

Post by sanships »

Thanks for all the assistance. I have asked the mechanic to give me individual list of parts to be replaced to try and salvage some of the original parts. Do you think that It's better to just replace the whole thing anyway as some of the members have done to reduce small problems in the future?

Alvin Sandoval
RP-C399
sanships

Post by sanships »

I live in the Philippines and am contemplating on ordering some parts. What are your experiences with wag-aero with them delivering the correct parts first time out with detailed specs of parts needed with specific aircraft model. I would not want to receive wrong parts after waiting for such a long period and go to the trouble in returning them. Would you suggest any other reliable vendors from the list george has listed above?
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII
3958v

Post by 3958v »

I have also seen ragwings with blisters for hanlon wilson exhaust. I am almost sure this has nothing to do with the Lycoming conversions although it looks about the same. I too would like to convert to the later style exhaust but dont want the blisters. Would be nice if the company that makes the new mufflers would also make the muffs. Bill
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
scott

exaust Pancake/or can

Post by scott »

In this thread I see no mention of the physical differences. The early exausts look like a rounded rectangular baking pan with the exaust pipes feeding into it.
The newer exausts are cylidrical about 5 dia and 10 or 12 long. I have seen 172 exaust cans succesfully fit to a 170 with no welding(or paper work either I assume) :roll: . The engine side is the same, the exaust exit must fit the cowl exit.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The correct Hanlon Wilsons for the 170 are PN's 0550157-9 which fit both sides on aircraft Serial No's 25373 and prior. On SNs 25373 and later the RH side was PN 0550157-32.
The later Cessna 172's (Cont-powered) used a larger 5.5" diameter muffler which is too large for the 170 cowl and requires a blister for clearance.
The answer is to: 1, own an Illustrated Part Catalog for your airplane and 2, order the correct part numbers for your aircraft. :P
flyguy

WAG-AERO

Post by flyguy »

[quote="sanships"]I live in the Philippines and am contemplating on ordering some parts. What are your experiences with wag-aero with them delivering the correct parts first time out with detailed specs of parts needed with specific aircraft model. I would not want to receive wrong parts after waiting for such a long period and go to the trouble in returning them. Would you suggest any other reliable vendors from the list george has listed above?[/quote]

IMHO - WAG-AERO would be at the bottom of "my" list of places to order "critical" parts from. Many of the replacement parts they sell are not PMA approved but I personally don't know about the exhaust systems they manufacture/sell. I would prefer PMA approval for critical parts like exhaust systems. My two cents worth.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
sanships

Post by sanships »

I have come accross Aerospace Welding Inc. on the web and they seem to have the whole muffler assembly on their catalog. Has anyone tried their parts? Is it PMA'd? Thanks!
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII