Ski rigging on a 170B

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

garyl

Ski rigging on a 170B

Post by garyl »

Does anyone know where I can get a drawing number 11R1348 showing ski rigging on 170B's. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. I have a pair of Federal 3000's wheel skis that I used last winter but want to ensure I have correct rigging and tension etc.
Thanks
spiro

Post by spiro »

Wipaire owns all the Federal (& Fluidyne) ski paper now. They'd probably love to sell you that drawing. wipaire.com/skis.htm
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

It is some pretty easy stuff to find out.

AC43.13-2A Shows all that information.

Tension required in main shock cable is based on Ski size.
1500-3000 Skis require 20-40 lbs of tension
3000-5000 Skis require 40-60 lbs of tension
Since you are running a 3000, it would make since that you want around 40 lbs of tension.

When the check cable is tight you want the ski to be at 0-5 positve degrees in relation to the top door sill of the 170. With the dramatic toe up on a set of 3000's you can be safe pushing the 1 degree mark with the ski in the up position if they are Airglides and in the down position if they are Fli-Lites.

The forward check cable is a little harder to find the right length for and the AC doesn't give enough detail. He's the Criteria: 1) Enough slack that you can taxi over big bumps without it going tight. 2) Short enough that if the spring broke that you could do some slow flight and get the wind back under the ski to pick it up. Then fly home at a reduced speed to keep it up and you will have a safe landing.

Kelly
Ski Pilot
Maineboy

Ski rigging on a 170B

Post by Maineboy »

Kelly,
I have a set of Fed. 3000 hydraulic skis's. Do you know what the biggest tire I can use? I e-mailed wipline but they never got back to me.
garyl

Post by garyl »

Thanks for the info folks. You are right, wipaire will sell me the drawing for $30.00. I am thinkin seriously of getting one and making it available to other 170 drivers. For Maineboys information I have 800 x 6 tires on my plane and they work good with the federal 3000 skis, no interference at all. Its snowing like a bugger here now, actually thinking of putting them on before it gets too cold.
Gary