What's the best way to jack up the tail?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

What's the best way to jack up the tail?

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I've looked at my service manual but can't find the best/easiest way to jack up the tailwheel. How do most members do this? Do you use a bottle jack under the tailspring, build a padded yoke to cradle the tail and lift (and if so where), or what?
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I use a little bottle jack (about $7 at Walmart as I recall) atop a couple 4x4 blocks. Works great. If you need to jack it way up,to a level attitude like for hanging an engine or something,you can use an engine hoist hooked to the tailwheel asembly.

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

There are a lot of thing s to be careful of and I'm sure Eric meant to mention them. I'll cover for you this time Eric, HA!

If you hoist the tail it becomes very light as you approach level and could be easy to put on its beak, Yuck!

If you put a jack under the tail you should put a board with padding between the jack and the airplane to spread out the load. Plus you should be careful to place the jack at a station where there is a bulkhead to help support the weight. Otherwise you could easily damage the skin.

Kelly
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Thanks for covering for me Kelly! I have the later-model (swept-forward) type 180 gear on mine,so the tail doesn't get as light as one would with stock gear legs.
Bottlejack: I put the jack on the centerline of the airplane, right under a handy bolt-head at the aft end of the tailwheel bracket. This bolt is one of a bunch that hold the retrofitted later-model finger-type tailwheel bracket on. Seems plenty sturdy.

Eric
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I want to change my tailspring. So once the aircraft is jacked up, what do you use to rest the tail on so the tailspring can be replaced? And where do you place this so as to not damage or wrinkle the skin?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Use a short step-ladder or saw-horse with your wifes favorite pillow. She'll love you for it. (A sack of bird seed works also. get it? bird seat?)
JDH

Post by JDH »

I was gonna say: A BAS tail pull and Cornflakes, but... If I have help, I do use the tail pull; if not, I use a bottle or floor jack with a foam backed carpeting wrapped 4X4 block, placed at the last bulk head. If you need to leave the tail up, lift at the spring and insert a 5 galons pail (bottom's up) with a thick foam gardening knee pad and center under a bulkhead. JD
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Just call me the "human jack" as I lift the tail with....my tail so to speak. I get the sturdy step ladder ready with padding next to the tail, then crawl under the tail until I have it in the small of my back, and then lift and crawl on all fours a few inches to get the tail over the step ladder, and then relax. No worries about where to jack or having the ship fall off the jack. I'm sure OSHA would frown on this lifting practice...but I do wear a supportive safety belt for this operation...most of the time :)
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV