Rebuilding airframe, what to do with corrosion.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Walker

Post by Walker »

Perhaps this discussion was hammered to death before I joined the group, but to me is a very important issue. As always, I try to gather knowledge and experience to work with my own before making a final decision on what to do. Currently I am doing a correct chromating of the interior with intentions of pumping the seams with something after the exterior paint is done. Any comments on time proven preventatives?
aarts

Post by aarts »

A while back someone referred to the "tar" soundproofing sprayed in 170 fuselages. Does anyone know what this "tar" stuff is? What's the best way to clean it off? I'm doing a total rebuild of a 1953 170B and the fuselage was full of it. No mention in the logs of anyone ever spraying it in.[/list][/quote]
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

aarts, I cleaned that stuff off of my first 170, seem to remember it came off easily with paint thinner and a scrub brush. Then hosed it all down with soap & hot water.
Max
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

For what it's worth, paint stripper lifts it too. If you're in there
stripping other stuff, might as well slap some on the tar
junk.

We used paint stripper and scrubbed with a scotchbright pad, then
switched to lacquer thinner / scotchbright for clean-up.

That tar crap *is* nasty stuff.....

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
Walker

Post by Walker »

Paint stripper works very well. I put a 4" hose to my dust collecter in the strobe hole and the inspection port in the tail ( depending on where I was) to bring in fresh air. Solvents inside the fuselage can kill you. After you have pulled off most of the stuff, wet your rag with prep sol or mineral spirits. It congeals the material and makes it very easy to clean off the last bits. Diamond Grip rubber gloves (disposable) are the best ones available. Keep an eye on the fingertips, as you may not know for a while that they have disetigrated. I am looking into a product by Fluid Film that is lanolin based to pump the seams with. Fluid Film sells their type A to the coast Guard for their helicopters. Lanolin products have amazing corrosion resistant qualites.