Windshield ...

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lee

Windshield ...

Post by Lee »

Hi ... winter is coming ... I am going to replace the windshield in our 170B. Can a windshield be in stalled when the temperature drops below 50deg? Or, better to wait until Spring? I live outside of Memphis and the temperature at night is now falling into the high 30s and low 40s with daytime temperatures in the high 60s this week with a cold front coming through over the weekend with forecast temperatures in the 50s during the day. (I intend to go with the LP STC) Thanks! R/Lee
DWood

Re: Windshield ...

Post by DWood »

Lee:

Probably best to ask LP Aero for their recommendation.

http://www.lpaero.com/
sgrimsley2717

Post by sgrimsley2717 »

The soft sealing material that you place around the plexiglass under the retaining straps will be easier to work at moderate temperatures. Will you be shooting rivets to install or do you have rivnuts and steel hardware for securing the lower strap?

Steve Grimsley N2717D
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi ... I was looking at the windshield this afternoon and decide that I might be making more out of this project than necessary. The crack is really small ... I suspect at some point a fuel nozzle was mishandled and hit the windshield. I am going to hold off replacing the windshield at least until the next annual and just keep an eye on it. The crack was there when I bought the airplane and did not bother me then. I think I would rather focus my energies on the things that I really want to get done, like improvements in the electrical system and instrument panel ... and hoping the engine is going to be OK! :-) Does anyone know if there is a way to repair small spider cracks? The crack is barely a little over an inch overall with a tiny hole in the center of four "legs" radiating out from the center of the crack. R/Lee
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I would obtain the finest ( smallest dia. ) drill and drill the ends of each crack . Then lightly gouge each crack to make a "V" and then carefully glue each crack with perplex glue . If it's in line of sight well that's a different matter .
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi ... the crack is up fairly high at 2 O'clock from the co-pilot's seat ... line of sight not a problem. Perplex glue ... not familiar with that. Information? Thanks! R/Lee
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Lee wrote: ... Perplex glue ... not familiar with that. Information? Thanks! R/Lee
I think he meant Perspex glue, Perspex being the British/Australian word for Plexiglas.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I do thank you for the translation but i did spell it wrong in the first place .
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

And I would not cut a V in it. Look on line to find demonstrations of glueing plexiglass.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Lee

Post by Lee »

Well do guys ... and as we say oft in "Elvis" land ... thank you, thank you very much! :-) R/Lee (N1967C)