Instrument panel upgrade.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Walker

Post by Walker »

:?:
Last edited by Walker on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

If it hasn't already been said the illustrated parts manual for your plane has illustrations of all the instruments that where available and their placement and will give you a good idea what you panel should look like.
You need to get a parts manual and a service manual. They are available several places including ebay.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Walker wrote:Currently I am on the fence as to whether I should just gut all the crap out of this plane and return it to its original basic VFR panel. I still do't have a clue as to what it looked like and am still looking for pictures. As a new member of the association, I suspect that most don't take me seriously. That's OK, I don't either; however you will certainly be pleasantly surprised when you meet the plane. If anybody knows of current books that will help, let me know. Thanks
Walker! What has gotten into you? You got an immediate answer to your only other posted questions regarding this matter. What else have you asked that you feel ignored over?

(OK, get ready now for some serious ribbing.....): Walker, you asked, "If anybody knows of current books that will help, let me know." My friend, ...you are asking about current books? Do you mean more current than "my most current Wag-Aero catalog" you claim to have,....the one you said was published in 1994? :lol:
Whatsa matter? They too pricey for you? :lol:
I may be slow, but I have to ask....Did Joe put you up to this? :lol:

(Back to serious, now.) OK. You really should buy the IPC and the Service Manual pre '62 from either Spruce (877-477-7823) or Univair.com You might also think about buying the Owner's manual for the airplane. Those documents are all helpful if you plan to return your airplane to origniality. (applause!!!! I like original airplanes!)
You should also download a copy of the judging rules for the association. They will indicate the items of importance for the original category and should give some ideas for you.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

My 1948 owner's manual has an excellent photo of the original factory panel that came in my airplane. Aircraft Spruce has the 170B owner's manual for about $11. The IPC is about $36. I also suggest getting a Continental C-125/C-145/O-300 parts catalog ($23) and maybe an overhaul manual ($36). All of these are real good reference material to have on hand. Even if you're not a do-it-yourselfer,your local A&P/IA may not have these manuals on hand.

Eric
Walker

Post by Walker »

Last edited by Walker on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zero.one.victor

Regarding the panel,I tore the venturi's, vacuum system,DG & horizon out of mine late last spring. Glad I did it--since I'm a VFR pilot,I don't miss them a bit. Retained the electric TC "just in case" (yeah,right!).

Eric
170C

Orginal Panels

Post by 170C »

Walker, I want to wish you sucess with your panel restoration. George is correct and will continue to be a great deal of help to you. However, be careful about calling him or referring to him as "Mr. Horn". We don't want to give him the BIG HEAD!!!!! (GRIN)

Incidently, ole George showed up at the Texas 170 Christmas party during the daylight! Must be turning over a new leaf? Could have been because he drove though!

Hang in there BENT WING GEORGE.

Seriously George, we appreciate your efforts.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Walker

Post by Walker »

Last edited by Walker on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Haven't seen a '58 but I'd think there would be a lot of different parts and numbers and your aircraft has or should have parts that where not used in '58. One part would be a tailwheel. Another would be all the part that make tha passenger door window open which they didn't in '58.

You really need the model specific manual as in "B" model I think it also will state what year it covers. When looking inside for the actual parts your aircraft would or should have, you will go by serial number of your aircraft. As stated many times on this site. Just because your aircraft is registered by the FAA as a '53 doesn't mean it's not a '52 or '54 first registered in '53.

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Not sure what you are referring to re: 1958 as the last official production year for the 170 was 1956 (with a few trickling off in 1957). 1953 was the year the major panel change for the 170 with a look towards a more "modern" panel. Also, that panel configuration changed somewhat between 1953 and 1956. I don't have my manual in front of me, but I believe the changes were to the lower portion of the panel with respect to radio placement and maybe glove box. The point I'm trying to make is that if you are serious about restoring your panel to a 1953 configuration then that is the configuration you need to research, not some other year as it will be different.

I would highly recommend getting the Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC) for the "B" model. This has very detailed drawings by serial number and you'll be able to see exactly what you panel configuration was from the factory. If you want to see part numbers for your specific aircraft, this is the place to look as it is all broken out based on serial number ranges.

Good luck,
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Mine currently has extra overlays and a shock mounted center. I pulled the center out a little to look and found the remnants of the original. It currently has a lexan overlay low center and a row of aluminum paddle switches below that and raised, radiused edge panels on the outside of the panel.
Walker you indicated in an earliar post that your current panel has the aluminum "piano" keys (switches) at the bottom. This tells me you have an early '53 which has the '52 style panel. Later panels did away with the "piano" keys. Your description, if I'm following it right, describes the original panel pretty well.

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

N9149A wrote:
Mine currently has extra overlays and a shock mounted center. I pulled the center out a little to look and found the remnants of the original. It currently has a lexan overlay low center and a row of aluminum paddle switches below that and raised, radiused edge panels on the outside of the panel.
Walker you indicated in an earliar post that your current panel has the aluminum "piano" keys (switches) at the bottom. This tells me you have an early '53 which has the '52 style panel. Later panels did away with the "piano" keys. Your description, if I'm following it right, describes the original panel pretty well.
You're right, it does sounds like a '52 panel. Missed that one :oops:

Walker, what is the serial number of your a/c? That can clear up a lot of things.
Doug
Walker

Post by Walker »

Last edited by Walker on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Last edited by Walker on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zero.one.victor

Walker wrote:Sorry about the extra input. It is registered as '53
The information I have indicates s/n 25329 is a 1952 model,and that 1953 models start with s/n 25373. The piano key switches also indicate a 1952 or earlier model. Of course,I have seen 170's that were pieced together or repaired with different year parts. I know of one with a 1952 serial number & has the early top-opening cowl,but has the later panel layout & 55-56 tailwheel steering configuration. It also appears to have a 172 firewall. So go figure?

Eric