PROPS FOR AVCON 180 CONVERSION

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

From my previous post, " Giving you a copy of MY STC paperwork from MY modified aircraft will not be applicable to YOUR airplane."

Just because you have a photocopy of a STC (or a patent) doesn't grant you the right to use it, make it, or legalize it. You (or your airplane actually) must have the express permission of the owner of that STC.

The only STC I know of that is in the public domain is the orginal EAA autogas STC. A simply photocopy of that document is all that is required. That's why EAA has superceded it with a later STC ...so they can charge for it. (They will not make the same mistake twice.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Buck,I'm assuming that your 170's Lycoming conversion is legal--337 signed off & filed,etc. As far as I know,having a copy of the actual STC is not an FAA requirement--judging by the number of airplanes whose files do not include copies of the STC's for their various mods. Therefore, a copy of the Avcon STC as issued for another airplane would be for "informational purposes" only,right? Kinda like having a copy of the 337 for a field-approved mod on another 170,like the many the Association keeps on file.
Geeze, this STC data ain't like some national defense secrets--I don't think you can get in trouble for having it! :roll:

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Having a copy of it isn't an infraction. But it's also not a license to use the modification. (Having a copy of a patent isn't illegal, but making the gizmo that's patented without a license is.)
The STC holder issues a copy of the STC document (with the airframe identified on the document) to the purchaser, indicating the licensing of the purchaser to perform the mod. Performing the mod without paying the STC holder is theft of his property, and would make it an unapproved mod (unless some other basis of approval such as a field approval is obtained. Of course, the FAA will not issue a field approval for an STC'd item. They will refer you to the STC holder.)
Having the STC document copy isn't illegal....it's only illegal to incorporate the data without the STC holder's approval. That means you gotta pay him for it and get the official document from him.
Mailing a copy of a 337 to the FAA doesn't make it an approved mod either. They will merely file their copy in the aircraft records. ( The only "approval" from the FAA would be if they filled in Block 3 as in a field approval and send you a copy back. But again, they won't give a field approval on an STC.)
There's no way around this. If you have your airplane already modified and you don't have the STC document, you must obtain a replacement document from the STC holder, or risk prosecution.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
david harvey

Post by david harvey »

Buck,
Here is the prop info from my Avcon STC:
Hartzell HC-C2YK-1B/7666A-2 Diameter: not over 74 in, not under 72 in. Avoid Continuous operation between 200 and 2250 rpm.

I cannot stress enough; do not do business with Robert L. & Barbara V. Williams of Avcon conversions if at all possible. They have been sued several times, as a matter of fact it was my understanding that they had moved to TX. Robert stated a couple of years ago (Western Flyer Mag.) after loosing a $30K law suit in WA (fraud), that he was not going to do any more business with anyone in the state, as it was too easy to sue there. My business dealing with this man could make a book. My lawyer just wasn't aggressive enough to go after any money. I have never even considered sueing anyone in my life, but I would gladly go after him.
Dave
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Buck

Just got home and DH beat me to the info on the prop. The rest of his message is probably the most valuable though. I agree totally.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm certainly not qualified to give any legal advice, but I believe you can be sued in any state where the plaintiff can show the offense occurred. Just because he moved doesn't prevent him from being sued there. In fact, it causes him even more disadvantage because he would have to travel back to WA to fight the lawsuit. (The biggest problem I could imagine for a plaintiff who prevailed would be collecting the award, if any. So if he's moved to TX, then sue him in TX, ....where business fraud cases are awarded TRIPLE damages, and ALL his non-homestead TX property could be confiscated.) :twisted:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Right on George. So easy to sue, so hard to collect on a judgement.

I repeat, these people (the williams) have a bad reputation that is deserved. There are other options in our free market society.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you find in the aircraft records from the Feds.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

Thanks to Dave and Dave........Harvey and Clark. The specifics on the prop per the STC is what I was looking for. I will leave the sleeping "Williams dogs" lie.

Thank you to George H for your advice on what is legal per the Feds.

I see in the last Flyer an outfit in CA is putting O-360's in 170's with both fixed and cs props. That is probably where the gentleman in Plainview had his engine done.

Best regards, Buck Buchanan
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Back in 2002 & 2003,the back cover of The 170 news carried a half-page Hartzell ad. In it,they listed a prop for "170A & B,172,& 175 with O-360 $7,995 (2-blade with damper)". They don't list the model number or specs.

Eric
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

I received a CD from the FAA today which lists the entire registration history and all the 337's. For the price it is a "what a deal". There was a 337 on the CD when the engine was changed to a O-360 and the prop to a Hartsell HCCY-1BF. It only references the STC number and drawing number as I suspected it would. I wrote to the FAA for the registration and 337 history no more that a couple week ago so their service was prompt.

Thanks to all for all the information.

Best regards, Buck Buchanan
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Good news Buck :D
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180