Camera port in 170

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Joe Moilanen

Camera port in 170

Post by Joe Moilanen »

As an aerial photographer, I would like to put a camera hole in the belly of my 53'170B. Cessna offered an optional camera port kit for the 170 when it was in production that consisted of a hole about 10" in diameter behind the pilot's seat. I have the installation instructions and factory drawings. I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these installed or better yet removed and still has the parts. I have a DER looking into it for me but finding the original parts would make the whole process a lot simpler. Any info on this kit or other port installations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and thanks for your info George!

Joe Moilanen #4319
moilanen@scattercreek.com
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

The camera hole installation on 78D is non-round. Can't remember if it is square or rectangular at the moment. If you want more info, email me and we can talk about getting you copies of the paperwork.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Hi Joe--glad to see you come aboard here.

Eric from Port Townsend
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

I have one on mine, not sure when it was installed. I'll check the paperwork the next time I'm at the hangar (I'm in the middle of an annual). Mine is rectangular, about 6-7" by 10-11" and is behind the right seat. I was just looking at it, but had all the seats out, the rectangualar opening is on the floor of the cabin about where the feet of the right, rear seat passenger would be. The opening on the exterior of the airplane is the same size as all the other inspection panel, and now covered with a standard round inspection panel.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Thanks Mike but thanks to the article that George Horn had in the last 170 quarterly I found all the pieces that I need. The guy that George bought his plane from had removed the Cessna optional port that was installed. George gave me his number and he had sold it to John Benham and he in turn sold it to a guy in Alabama. The guy in Alabama dug around 'til he found it and it is now in the mail and on it's way to me! Membership sure is great!

Joe Moilanen
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Wow! That's great! Just one more reason to be a member and participate in the forums. Good luck with the install : )
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe Moilanen wrote:Thanks Mike but thanks to the article that George Horn had in the last 170 quarterly I found all the pieces that I need. The guy that George bought his plane from had removed the Cessna optional port that was installed. George gave me his number and he had sold it to John Benham and he in turn sold it to a guy in Alabama. The guy in Alabama dug around 'til he found it and it is now in the mail and on it's way to me! Membership sure is great!

Joe Moilanen
Joe, since we know that camera kit was an original kit to my airplane from the factory, remember to use only high-speed film with it. :lol:
(Just couldn't resist, N1478D) :lol: :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

HA! Hope Joe's prepared to take a bunch of still shots! :lol:

After finding a used mag drive gear for $130 + the cost of the bendix mag overhaul, hoping after spending all of that money 78D runs faster once the equipment is installed.

Last winter after an exhaust leak thread, made rubber gaskets and sealed the camera bay up as good as I could.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX