Tall Tales

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1277D

Tall Tales

Post by N1277D »

This story is true :P perhaps. A few years ago an outfitter had a mule get sick on him at the Moosecreek Ranger station (Northern Idaho). The only way in there is by raft, pack animal, hike or aircraft. So fearing the worst, the outfitter got one of the local pilots to bring in a vet to check over his prize pack animal. After the vet looked him over they decided the mule needed to be brought into town for some surgical work. The vet tranqualized the mule and they loaded the critter into the airplane. They barely got airborne and followed the river down stream to get some altitude. The turbluence begin to get worse and one bad jolt woke up the mule. The mule behaved like they normal do, and starting kicking the **** out of the airframe. After a few tense moments and realizing that the mule was gonna do some serious damage, the grizzled Idaho backcountry pilot reached under his seat for his 45 and quited down the mule. After the outfitter's hearing and the powder smoke cleared from the cockpit, so goes the story the outfitter decided to only pack in his animals after that 8)
flyguy

PIGS DO FLY

Post by flyguy »

I almost passed this chance up but what the heck.

I've never hauled any 'live' livestock in my plane and the only furry animal to ride in my 4 seater is ole Billy Bob, my Black Lab. But I have hauled some dead ones!

I once carried two dressed (butchered but skin still on) hogs from Cameron, Missouri to a pig roast that a friend was giving at Lake of the Ozarks. I landed at Ivy Bend (international) airport. (Anyone been in there? A 1500' grass strip, between the trees that is sorta like a small crooked roller coaster track. Land uphill to the north no matter which way the wind is blowing.)

I had taken out the back and co-pilots seats to make room for two 150# carcasses. The butcher had wrapped the hogs in white freezer paper for protecting the meat and the interior of my plane. No one from our gang was there to meet when I landed me so I just got out and was sitting under the wing when a nearby neighbor wandered over to chat. He looked in the back of the 170 and saw two bodies (hogs) wrapped in white sheets and asked "Whatcha got in there?" "Oh that's the pigs" I said, assuming he knew about the pig-roast we were having. Well he about choked on his chaw of 'backey and said "which ones of the Pigs?" "The dead ones" says I. This really got him going! "I never knew they were even sick" he lamented! "When did they die"?

Finally after a little more explanation, he understood they were really pigs that were slated to be roasted and eaten, and not the "Pigs" who were his neighbors! We had a good laugh at the pig-roast when I told the gang about the reception committee that met me at the airport!