Door Handles

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

I want to compare my door handles to yours at the convention because I don't actually know what the originals are supposed to look like. Mine are the NAPAs mentioned early in this thread and they fit although I don't know if they look right or not :?

Harold
Mbr # 893
N92CP
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

George et all,
I recently had to purchase one box of the U-shaped hair clips that retain the door handles on my 53 170B. As I needed only one I have plenty left over and would be happy to mail a clip or clips to anyone who needs them, just E-mail your mailing address.
Johneeb@ameritech.net
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Thanks for the offer, John....and for those in a hurry, they are available at NAPA autoparts stores, NAPA PN 735-1145 (shaped like U-springs). (Also, escutcheon washers to protect the sidewalls This is NOT the escutcheon...this is a flat plastic washer commonly found beneath excutcheons/springs, usually post aircraft sn 26039--NAPA PN 735-2653.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Walker

Post by Walker »

I absolutely love originality and correctness, but when it comes to door handles, one pair of vice grips will do it. Remember, a true gentleman always lets the passenger use them first.
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Bela...You da' man! Thanks for doing the leg work.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Twas nothing everyone. Y'all would do the same.
It was a fun trip and I got new door handles for
$20 each instead of $250+ each, so I'm happy.

Installed the new door handles tonight after a short
local flight. FWIW, the handles, as received from
Chevs of the 40s, already have the "U" clips/springs
installed (all you have to do is stick a washer on
the escutheon, and press the whole shootin' match
onto the spline). So there's $2.?? you don't have to
spend (for the U-clips from NAPA).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
Maineboy

Post by Maineboy »

I take it there is more than one style of door handles for the 170? My '56 and Dads '54 door handles are one piece with no eutcheons. They are also longer with less curve than the older style. Anyone know how many styles there were and when they changed?
I'm trying to decide whether to change them both to the style Bela found or keep searching for a match.
Can anyone tell me how to post a picture on here? I tried to cut a paste a picture of my door handle but it wouldn't work.
Brian
'56 170B N3532D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Your picture needs to be a .gif file stored in a public accessible place on the web. Then use the image tag found at the top of the reply box to insert the url or address to the photo. Make sure to end the address with another image tag. It should look like this: (img)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bfenster/ ... .gif(/img). In this example I've changed the square brackets which will show up when you click the tag to parentheses so the code will appear here as code.[/img]
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com