May 18 Texas Region Fly-In

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

May 18 Texas Region Fly-In

Post by GAHorn »

Jamie and I just got back from the fly-in today at Boerne and then a hop over to Freedom Springs. We all met at Boerne (5C1) where Louise and Cleo Bickford, Robert Angel, and John D. Benham provided ground transport to the Cascade Caverns. John D. also flew his B-model in and Dorothy drove their car, so we had plenty of ground transport. Other fly-in's were Steve and Maria Grimsley, Billie and Ken Peck, Kathy and Greg Dohrer, and Jack Holt. A 22 kt wind out of the North may not have been enough tailwind to convince "Rope-trick" he'd have enough groundspeed to make it in one day perhaps, so we missed him. (The Grimsley's B-model seemed to have no problem coming from the same area as "Rope-trick's" domicile,...it's a mystery.) Robert's 14 year-old son, David, was also in attendance and they are new members of our happy group and we all really enjoyed them. (Robert is also involved with the B17 "Texas Raider".) After the cavern tour we all proceeded to the "Scenic-Loop Cafe" for lunch. It was a really nice up-scale menu and everyone had dishes such as "Pork Milanese" and "Enchiladas Espinache", etc, except for Steve and I who represented main-steam Texas with Chicken-fried steak and mashed potatos with cream-gravy. Mmmmmn-mmmmn. Good! Also, very pleasant and professional service!
Most folks had other commitments for the remainder of the day, but Jamie and I hopped over, and Robert drove, with David getting an airplane ride to John D. and Dorothy's place at Pipe Creek (Freedom Springs) to get the "tour" of John D's hangar of cars, airplanes, parts, and collectibles, ...followed by a really nice Bar-B-Que dinner.
Just as daylight was fading, Jamie and I accelerated down the turf runway and lifted off into a fast-fading sunset for home. We stopped at Kestrel field (1T7) for $1.70 avgas and then on home to the ranch (8TA3). We landed around 9PM, put N146YS in the hangar and fed the Labs (Boy! Were they glad to see us!) It was a really nice day of cool sunny weather and pleasant friends.
Next fly-in will be July 13 to Gilmer, Tx. (No fly-in scheduled for June due to the convention.)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Flap assembly still disassembled. Will call salvage yards, goin to be hard without a part number, and supply houses next week.
The 20+ knot winds would have made a long and bumpy ride for my daughter who is prone to air sickness, although we have hopes that the ginger is going to help. Hated to miss the fly-in but glad to hear everyone had fun and safe trips :)
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N1478D wrote:Flap assembly still disassembled. Will call salvage yards, goin to be hard without a part number, and supply houses next week.
The 20+ knot winds would have made a long and bumpy ride for my daughter who is prone to air sickness, although we have hopes that the ginger is going to help. Hated to miss the fly-in but glad to hear everyone had fun and safe trips :)
Just to let the other shoe drop,...
When I joked to Jack Holt (jackalope) that I'd have to kid Joe Harris about being too slow to make the fly-in he was quick to point out (being the guy to land just ahead of me in his A-model) that I was the last to arrive! :?
Touche'!
4BravoWhiskey

Post by 4BravoWhiskey »

George, I wish you'd told me about that cheap fuel stop! I loaded up at Boerne (24 gallons at $2.30/gal, ouch!) before battling the headwinds home. I guess you were getting me back for that remark about being the last plane in! :wink: And if that's not enough, a huge x-wind gust just after I touched down at Kittie Hill 'bout tossed me off the runway. Lots of trees along the edges there. Fortunately I kept her from running into anything, and only the ego was bruised. :oops:

The fly-in was fun, though, I'm glad I made it. Thanks to the organizers and drivers!

Jack
'53 170B N314BW
4-Shipp

Cheap Gas

Post by 4-Shipp »

When I contacted Wichita Valley airport, just west of Wichita Falls reference hangar space for the fall, I noticed their gas was $1.89 for 100LL. 24 hours - self serve credit card at the pump. Here's the link: http://www.airnav.com/airport/F14/A. Stop by if you are close - a neat and busy field.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
GAHorn

Kestrel Airport (1T7)

Post by GAHorn »

Great big CAUTION here!
Kestrel field is one of the more interesting places to land. This is a paved runway (12-30) that severely slopes downhill towards the southeast It should be considered one-way for takeoff, and taxying back to takeoff after fueling is a real heart-stopper! It takes lots of power to get up to the threshhold and then the moment you get there as you top the crest you realize you're AT THE END! and about to go through a drainage ditch and off a cliff! 8O The taxiways on the north side of the runway require full power to climb, so I just backtaxi the runway.
But if you're not faint of heart, it's $1.70 fuel. Your brakes better work tho', or you'll end up in trouble at either end, and have your chocks ready when you pull up to the pumps, because you'll be on a slope (and your parking brakes have been disabled.....right?)
flyguy

COLOR, FONTS AND OTHER STUFF

Post by flyguy »

I QUIT!
Last edited by flyguy on Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Re: COLOR, FONTS AND OTHER STUFF

Post by GAHorn »

flyguy wrote:GEORGE, I AM POSTINGTHIS TOSEE IF ANYTHING WORKS BETTERON IEXPLORER THAN ITDID WITH NETSCAPE 4.7. USUALLY WHAT I SEE IS ALL THE CHICKEN SCTATCHES THAT ARE TO DIRECT THE CHANGES TO FONT AND COLOR WITHOUT ACTUALLY SEEING ANYTHING HAPPEN TO THE MESSAGE.
====
Gary, I don't think SWAMPERS are allowed to screw up the language anymore than you already do, so maybe you ain't allowed to change the colors or fonts. :lol:

(Seriously, it looks as if your "size=24" and "size" captions are both before your intended words, so there is no way it can "open" the font change, affect the words, then "close" the font change. In other words, the message area you wish to alter must be captioned before and after, to be altered. I cannot imagine what you're doing, but you should be able to click on "preview" rather than "submit" and see your message before you victimize the rest of us. :lol: (or should that be "victimise"?) :lol: