Cargo Net

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N73087

Cargo Net

Post by N73087 »

My wife and I are planning a long trip.
We want to leave the back seat home, and have more room for luggage. Has anyone any ideas on how to set up tie down points for a cargo net? I think there should be two nets, one for the traditional baggage area, and one for the area formerly occupied by the back seat. That would help keep the stuff from shifting.
Dave
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I made up a set of cargo rings that mount to the side attach points & forward attach point for the rear seat. I used a welded ring from the hardware store,with a sash chain link wrapped around it mounted with (I believe) a 10-32 screw,typical of 3. Made another similar ring up for the aft reat seat attach,I think that one's a 1/4-28 screw. Mounted eyebolts (#10 size?) to the station 90 bulkhead,that's the one at the front of the baggage bay,at the lower corners.
When I installed the single jump seat in back,I installed beefier cargo rings for the seat belt attaches. I can also use them for tying down cargo.
I never did come up with a decent cargo net. I just use light rope,and kinda weave it around to tie everything down as needed.

Eric
JDH

Post by JDH »

I flew my 170 in the winter with the back seat off and tons of gear back there for camping/survival. What I did was use the attach points for the seat on the side bolsters and floor to mount tie down rings made up with an angle iron with 2 holes and using the same size bolts as used to hold down the seat, and 2 more on the doorposts. Also, my plane had 2 eye bolts on the floor in the baggage compartment. I got 2 cargo nets for mini vans at Canadian Tire. I saw the same thing in the auto department at Wallmart. They are inexpensive, have a shock cord going around it and will keep your things from moving around. It is not the big heavy duty cargo net, but then again, your flying a 170, not a C-130... :wink: JD
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

When we flew down from Alaska. I bought a light plastic tote (tub) with lid, probably from Walmarts. I had to take one of the front seats out to get it into the back. Has to sit in the fuselage long ways.
We loaded it up with Tent, Sleeping Bags, Axe, Camping Stove (preheater), propane bottles, dozen bottles of oil & whatever else for an October trip across the Cold North. Parkas & Bunny Boots outside the container.
Anyway what I like about it, is that the walls are maybe 2 ft tall and has a lid. You can stack things in corners without the stuff spreading out. Fluids in oil bottles or camping stoves can't leak or spill on the carpet. Axe, saw, or other supplies with sharp edges won't tear the interior.
When we left the plane unattended, most of our belongings were out of sight under the lid. All that survival equipment is still in the tub, in my garage.
zero.one.victor

I have something similar,only smaller,that I use as my camping box. Not for tent & fart sack,but stove,lantern,food,pots/pans,& that sort of stuff. Made by rubbermaid,it was about $3 or 4 bucks at Walmart. I think maybe it'as like the 84 quart size?

Eric
zero.one.victor

Stopped by Walmart today & browsed for cargo nets. Didn't see any for mini-vans,but did see one for a pickup. made of bungee-type cord,sized 60" X 78",priced at $20. Looked pretty decent,but sized all wrong in my opinion. If it was about 42" x about 48",that seems like it'd be about right?

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessna distributors actually sell cargo nets and a good method to attach them is to the seat-belt or seat attach points using AN hardware such as that depicted in the B-model IPC, Fig. 103, PN 0511165 or 0511166 (Tie down rings, Cargo.) The 0511165 can be attached to the standard locations vacated by the rear seat attach points.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)