Landis Air-Glass Skis

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

buchanan

Landis Air-Glass Skis

Post by buchanan »

I'm in the process of mounting a set of Landis 3000's straight skis on my 170B. Where the in-board end of the axel "swells" needs to be turned down to accomodate the ski. There was no bushing supplied by Landis to re-mount wheels after the axels are turned down. My question is should there have been bushings supplied? If Landis doesn't have the bushings I suppose a person can make them eh? Any hints, opinions etc. will be much appreciated.

Best regards, Buck Buchanan, Valier, MT
3480C

Post by 3480C »

I Bought a pair of there axles acouple of years ago. They turned them down and supplied the bushings.I believe I delt with senior Mr.Landis.
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Buck,

F. Atlee Dodge or Landes here in Anchorage has the bushings in stock. After having your axles turned down, you will actually need two sets of bushings, one for wheels and one for skis. The bushings for the skis is required to keep the ski pedestal from rubbing against the axle bolt heads. You can also fabricate your own from some 1.500" ID 4130 steel tubing. These bushings will need to be relieved or belled where they but up against the axle flange due to the radius there. The bushings for the skis also require custom relieving where they they interfere with the axle bolt heads. In general these ski bushings need to be as short as possible so that the ski pedestal is just off the bolt heads but giving you enough room so that the axle nut engages all the threads it can.

Bruce
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

Thanks much for the replies,

Tim Berg from FAI sent me a drawing of a bushing and "backing plate".

With 80C's and 43A's posts I think I'm in business.

I'm puzzled why Gary Landis, with whom I spoke when I ordered the skis, didn't let me know what was involved and that I would need either bushings or new axels. I've had skis on my Cub for years but I didn't realize that Cessna axels weren't straight like a Cub's.

Thanks again, Buck