Fuel Selector Valve Assembly

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jlwild

Fuel Selector Valve Assembly

Post by jlwild »

:cry: While draing the gas from my fuel tanks, to replace fuel tank hoses and gaskets, I found the fuel selector valve will not shut off in the closed position. My valve is the late model illustrated on pg. 106 Fig. 64 of the 170B Parts Catalog.

I have assumed the O-rings are gone. But before pulling the assembly out of the plane, I am seeking advice from others who may have had a similar problem and repaired it, i.e. removal/re-installation procedure and parts to examine for potential problems.

Also, need a parts source for the fuel valve cover gasket (PN0513125)
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

See my previous post titled: Fuel valve rebuild and manual mistake WARNING.

You get all the info your looking for. The valve is a pain in the butt to get in and out but can be done. I went throught the top where the flap handle comes through the tunnel and throught a inspection hole in the bottom of the aircraft. (My A/C is probably a '52 fuselage)
Took me about 45 minutes to get it out after draining the tanks and about the same amount of time to reinstall.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

:D Bruce, thanks for the reply. Have read your earlier forum post and it answers all my questions. Now just have to bit-the-bullet and do it.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.