Scott 3200A approval - enter the gauntlet?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Romeo Tango

Scott 3200A approval - enter the gauntlet?

Post by Romeo Tango »

All - I'm ready to replace my Maule tailwheel with a Scott 3200A wheel (I've read the forums for the pros & cons on the geometry, good stuff). My question is to anyone who has made this installation, did you have to go through the FSDO with more than just a 337? The 3200 is approved by the type certificate, the 3200 and 3200A have minor differences, and the Husky Type certificate specifies it for a "similar type" argument. That package together should be enough, but I don't want to do more than necessary.

Any experience-based guidance?

Richard
jcraver

Post by jcraver »

It's interesting that the 3200 is the only one approved in the type certificate, but the photo in the original owners manual shows a 3200A, at least for the 1954 model. Cessna must figured it was close enough and just put it on. Mabe they had the right idea....
jc
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Scott states that the 3200 and the 3200A are the same for purposes of type certification. (The "A" is a minor alteration.)
The Scott 3200 is approved on the aircraft type certificate, therefore nothing more than a logbook entry and wt/bal change is required.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)