Oil Filter adapter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

U2Hoog

Oil Filter adapter

Post by U2Hoog »

8O My A&P found a crack in my old CESSNA oil filter adapter. Does anyone recommend a different one? Or shall I just buy the same old replacement? :?:
Hoog
N65BB -- 1948 Ragwing
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The F&M/ El Reno filters are around $300 nowadays,they use the Champion 48108 spin-on filter. How much is the Cessna model & does it use a spin-on or cannister filter? My old C-150 used a Cessna cannister-type filter & it was a pain in the you-know-what. I like the spin-on.
If you go with the F&M/El Reno,make sure tell them you want the later version kit that uses the flat gasket (not a crush ring) where the adapter meets the accessory case.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
U2Hoog

Post by U2Hoog »

The Cessna one runs $400. It's a spin on adapter for a champion oil filter.

I went to the website listed in GAHORN's post, but couldn't find any pricing / purchasing info. Anyone?
Hoog
N65BB -- 1948 Ragwing
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Hoog!!
How ya doin'? I been thinkin bout flyin up there and checking out the scenery. I may not get around to it till summer.

On the filter, I have an El Reno spin-on. If you get one, make sure you get the later model washers for the adapter. The original style did not leak till about the 50-70 hour point ... after that you'll be wiping down the firewall and everything south of the oil filter adapter after EVERY flight. I now have the new washers and will install them at the next oil change. I'm not very motivated to waste 7 quarts of oil that's not due for a change yet, so I'll just keep wiping it down for now.

I don't have a web address, but the phone number is (405)262-2387. They have a 1-800 number but I've never had any luck with them actually answering it. I talked with Ted, he was great and sent me the later type washers for free.

Good Luck,
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Mike,I'm glad you were treated well by Ted at F&M. I too had F&M send me a later-style gasket which was not included in my filter kit. They charged me $7 for the flat gasket & a crush ring,plus $11 shipping. I felt a bit taken advantage of,especially cuz it was to fix a known problem with one of their kits. Maybe no freebie cuz I originally bought the kit from El Reno? But I seem to recall that at the time F&M was not selling direct or else had just started selling direct.
Anyway,I'm still holding an $18 grudge against F&M. Have you ever heard of Irish Altzheimers? You can't remember your own name but you never forget your grudges! :evil:

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I paid $89 for a set of quality safety wire (twister) pliers from an aviation tool supply company (ATS).
My friend paid $19 for a virtually identical set from a "Brand-X" discount tool place (but made in China.)
Mine cut wire neatly and squarely.
His doesn't "cut" wire, ...it "mashes" it at an angle and leaves a sharp point.
He complained to me about it.
I told him I don't understand how he can expect Brand-X tools to be the same quality as ATS tools. He said he thought he would send them off for re-sharpening and hope for the best.
He was furious when he got them back with a sharpening/shipping invoice that totalled $42.
The El Reno filter adaptor, despite who originally fabricated it for them, is an El Reno filter adaptor. El Reno made the sale and pocketed the profit. They should have supplied the replacement gasket.
The FM Enterprises adaptor is an FM adaptor with subsequent product improvements which include a chamfered face and a flat rubberized gasket. They have re-machined several of their early products for customers who've purchased directly from them, and suppled new gaskets for free. They were supporting a customer who'd purchased directly from them. I'll bet they feel El Reno should service their own customers. Just a guess.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)