New Member - Pre-Buy on a '48 170

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ed_M

New Member - Pre-Buy on a '48 170

Post by Ed_M »

Hello Everyone,

The name here is Ed, and I'm in S. New Hampshire.

I've been 'lurking' for a bit now, and have finally found an aircraft I am ready to purchase. It is a '48 170, mostly original, except newer radio and ADSB installation. It has metalized wings - which for me is ok as a hanger isn't a possibility yet. An O-300 D installed, with very low hours, but long calendar time since Overhaul.

I looked it over myself, as I'm an A&P, and didn't find anything that would be a deal breaker, however I am having an independent shop do a pre-buy (which will turn into an annual after the sale is complete) since I may have a little buck-fever. The results of the pre-buy are the only hurdle to get over, before we close. Very Excited.

the shop I'm using has a LOT of Cessna experience, but in the 172, RG, Cardinal, etc. So specific to the 170 (no A/B) are there any area's that should be looked at because they're a known point of failure?

Thanks!
GAHorn

Re: New Member - Pre-Buy on a '48 170

Post by GAHorn »

Rudder cables within the last compartment/bulkhead in the tailcone. Rudder pedals for worn pivots. Elevator torque-tube for internal rust/corrosion. Rudder Spar for same. Control “T” for internal corrosion, especially if stored outdoors. Cracks in the original steel “box” tailwheel bracket and at it’s attachment. Be CERTAIN it has the required fuel-pump AND check-valve.
As an A/P you probably already have a handle on such things as corrosion and complete/accurate records... I think a “pre buy” is a misnomer... ONLY a full Annual Inspection will determine if it’s airworthy or not. You don’t have to fix the discrepancies but a “pre buy” has no legal definition and may not discover things an annual will. Good luck.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

0-300D is not a legal engine in a 48 as it is not included in the TCDS for a 48 nor is the prop unless there is another basis of approvals such as an approved 337. Our Association has an STC which will make it legal if it is not.

I will emphasize somethings George pointed out.

Elevator torque tubes AND the first rib they attach too. They are steel and not as protected as later B model and 172s and bad corrosion can be found here.

Does it have the required engine driven fuel pump AND one way valve? All items are required on the'48. Not so easy to come by these parts.

'48s came with the early steel tailwheel spring bracket. Does this 170 still the original or has it been replaced with the later "fish mouth" style bracket. Either will crack. Look either over well.

Other than that, look it over like you would a 172.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dstates

Post by dstates »

I'm not an expert, but I would look closely at gear attach fittings.
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118